PDA

View Full Version : Awakening the Buddha Within, great book

Zoe Girl
2-21-11, 8:56am
I am reading this and it is such a great book. I think I could slow down and spend a year on it and the exercises but I tend to want to read it all now (btw it is on my cool nook which is even cooler). It is very good about addressing things as they are, like how he talks about what they were able to do in the 70's but then how that is not possible now. I think that is very true and I struggle with daily life, so it is good to have that addressed (not that he solves it, darn it).

And it helped me reclaim the om mani padme om chant that was ruined for me by hare krishnas for quite a few years. That is nice, when we do our annual Buddhist Study Group service at our UU church we finish with that chant in 2-3 parts. It is incredible, I see someone every year with tears in their eyes from this chant and I get chills.

loosechickens
2-21-11, 2:59pm
what does the om mani padme chant have to do with Hare Krishnas? Totally different religions. I'm Buddhist and chant om mani padme hum.......but although I've spent quite a bit of time over the years at the Krishna place in Tucson (they have a great vegetarian restaurant, and if you go to their chanting services on Sunday nights, afterwards there's a great, used to be free, now costs a couple of bucks, vegetarian buffet dinner that you can share with the Krishna folks and a bunch of interesting homeless people the food attracts), and certainly enjoyed a lot of chanting Hare Krishna chants, I've never even remotely heard any Buddhist chanting going on........

Are you sure you don't have the two mixed up?

By the way, I agree, Awakening the Buddha Within is a wonderful book and enjoys a permanent place in the Chickens bookshelves here in the rig. I can see it as I type........

mattj
2-21-11, 6:24pm
Just reserved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

catherine
2-21-11, 8:20pm
It's in my nightstand. (That's where my BEST books are--all the rest are on the shelves in the living room).

Excellent book--agreed.

gimmethesimplelife
2-21-11, 8:23pm
Next Amazon.com giftcode I receive from doing online marketing research, I am ordering this based on the recommendations above. Sounds very interesting.....Rob