PDA

View Full Version : Silver Linings Playbook!

Zoebird
3-15-13, 6:56am
Saw this today and *loved* it.

As it was set in Philly, it was really lovely to see parts of the old stomping ground!

Beyond that, the script was well written, the acting was impeccable, and the story was a true delight with both laughing and crying, without the crying being painful. That is, it was touching and definitely touched on pain, but without beating the audience with it like a hammer.

It was so worth it. I would see it again for sure!

If you haven't seen this one, definitely take the time. It was truly excellent. And I don't say that about many films. "I like it" or "this was fun" -- but excellent? This was excellent. :)

Zoe Girl
3-15-13, 6:50pm
Loved it also!

I saw it with my best friend who was visiting from out of state. I would see it again. I had read the book years ago and the movie was very true to the best of the book.

iris lily
3-15-13, 9:32pm
hey Zoes--I liked his pretty much, it's was good.

Now, I don't' think it reached the magical other-worldliness of Life of Pi as an Oscar nominees, but it was pretty much ok. It was a black comedy although a bit of a happy ending for a black comedy.

Zoebird
3-16-13, 2:14am
I suppose that since I know bi-polar folks, it was close to home, you know? :) In a good way. I felt like. . . I felt like I understood things better. :)

I didn't see Life of Pi. :)

mira
3-16-13, 5:42am
Oh, I really disliked this film. It just seemed like yet another contrived rom-com involving two people drawn to one another because of their 'problems', highlighting their narcissism and the idea that there is such a thing as people WITHOUT problems (because people with obvious mental disorders can only be attracted to one another, right? Gimme a break).

The whole dancing thing was ridiculous and the comic-relief provided by the black guy and the Indian guy was just unnecessary (ho ho, how funny are non-white people?!)

iris lily
3-16-13, 8:49am
Oh, I really disliked this film. It just seemed like yet another contrived rom-com involving two people drawn to one another because of their 'problems', highlighting their narcissism and the idea that there is such a thing as people WITHOUT problems (because people with obvious mental disorders can only be attracted to one another, right? Gimme a break).

The whole dancing thing was ridiculous and the comic-relief provided by the black guy and the Indian guy was just unnecessary (ho ho, how funny are non-white people?!)

I can see this, to. The dance thing was formulaic.

Zoe Girl
3-16-13, 9:18am
I think coming from reading the book a lot of it went deeper for me, the book got more into the relationship with the Dr Patel and how they built this connection when they were into the same sport after struggling in therapy to make a connection. It could also get into the inner world of the main character more which is difficult in a movie.

What was really funny to me that wasn't as highlighted in the book was the rituals around the games. How even the Dr got into supporting the mindset rather than just arguing someone out of their beliefs. The over the top team loyalty brought the family together and also pushed back some of those assumptions that maybe Asians wouldn't get into football. And it also to me showed people with mental illness being accepted. I saw the black character more as someone who was accepted into the family despite being in and out of the hospital I guess.

Anyway just my POV

BarbieGirl
3-16-13, 8:03pm
Haven't seen the movie, but I live in the same neighborhood where they shot the movie scenes at the diner. We go to that diner very often for breakfast. You can actually sit in the booth Cooper Bradley sat! Lol...

Zoebird
3-16-13, 9:26pm
Bradley Cooper, that is. ;) I have also been to that diner, and it was so nice to see it. :D

Funny thing abut me and actors. I have this game. I watch a commercial or a tv-show or movie and I see a 'bit player' and I go "I hope for that person!" You know? They have a quality. I hope they get what they want/need out of life. Awesomeness, etc. The Career that they want. Etc.

I research their names, and then. . . write down when I saw them first in a little file (on the computer). And then I record when I see them next, then again, and so on. Bradley is one of those that I wrote down from Sex in the City 1999. You know that I was 23 then? Good god.

Anyway, it was years later when I saw him crop up in Alias, saw the name, went to my list. . . and I was like. . . OMG! It's him! Of course, Alias went another direction (we dropped it season 2 even though DH LOVES Jennifer Garner), and then we didn't see him again, then crops up and crops up. And now YAY! I'm so happy that he's doing so well. :D

Random!

Rogar
5-2-13, 10:15am
My number finally came up on Netflix to see this. I thought it was excellent, but with a few reservations. The acting was terrific and maybe the best I've seen this year. De Niro was an especially good and totally believable older guy. The story seemed to mostly escape the Hollywoodism that so many new movies have and for the most part seemed totally real and possible. They did loose me with the dance scenes and that part of the story which seemed like a stretch of believability and pulled the movie into the unrealistic Cinderella type story book romance. I still gave it my Netflix 5 stars, which doesn't happen often.

CathyA
5-12-13, 9:44pm
I just watched this last night. It was pretty uncomfortable for me to watch........all the bipolar symptoms and the dysfunction. The acting was good, but I just didn't care for the story line. And his behavior changed too dramatically to be realistic. I was really expecting to like this alot more than I did.

pinkytoe
5-13-13, 10:03am
I watched about thirty minutes and lost interest though I thought the acting was very good.

catherine
5-13-13, 10:32am
I really enjoyed it. It was fun for what it was. In honor of the recently deceased Roger Ebert, I give it a thumbs up.