PDA

View Full Version : What kind of thread for darning socks?

CathyA
5-6-13, 9:40am
I refuse to throw out another pair of socks, just because they have some holes. Alot of the You Tube videos use yarn, but I think I need to use something thinner, but still soft on my cotton/nylon socks.
Any suggestions? Oh......and some sites show making a knot at the end, and some say don't do it, since it can irritate your foot. What do you do?
Thanks.

Tiam
5-6-13, 9:46am
I refuse to throw out another pair of socks, just because they have some holes. Alot of the You Tube videos use yarn, but I think I need to use something thinner, but still soft on my cotton/nylon socks.
Any suggestions? Oh......and some sites show making a knot at the end, and some say don't do it, since it can irritate your foot. What do you do?
Thanks.

I remember my mother had some darning thread in her sewing box (1960's) It was neither thread nor yarn exactly. Well, I'd describe it as a thread like, very thin, lightweight yarn. It came wrapped around little cards like this:

http://www.ericas.com/yarn/22341m.jpg

awakenedsoul
5-6-13, 3:41pm
Hi Cathy,

I used to use the old fashioned darning thread when I was growing up. I don't think they make it anymore. Now I use embroidery floss, with a darning needle. I was taught never to knot...it can feel irritating. You could also buy sock yarn at a yarn shop. I knit my own socks now and save the leftover yarn for that purpose. A friend from my Fiber Arts group gave me her darning egg that belonged to her grandmother. I love it!

Sorry send a PM, but I don't post anymore. Had some problems...

awakenedsoul

CathyA
5-6-13, 8:57pm
Thanks Tiam and awakenedsoul.
I was thinking of using some cross-stitch thread. Actually, I have a big ball of something that looks like something my mom used to use. Maybe that's for darning.
I guess I'll just have to experiment!
Thanks again!