PDA

View Full Version : Road trip from southern Michigan

Bartleby
6-10-13, 1:25am
Anybody have any ideas for a three-night road trip from the Detroit area?

Please exclude up north, as I am well familiar with that option.

One I am thinking of is Niagara Falls (will have some Japanese visitors, who like to see famous places) then to the Finger Lakes.

Any comments on the Finger Lakes would be really appreciated, or other suggestions.

Bartleby

Tussiemussies
6-10-13, 1:28am
Hi, I have a book from Reader's Digest about the countries best road trips. I'll give a look tomorrow and see if there is anything in your area...:)

goldensmom
6-10-13, 9:45am
Finger Lakes is a great destination. We did a camping trip to Finger Lakes region several years ago over Labor Day with side trips to Stratford and Nigara-On-The-Lake (don't like Niagara Falls much). Thoroughly enjoyable except for a major thunderstorm at Watkins Glen State Park that flooded our tent.

catherine
6-10-13, 9:51am
Finger Lakes aren't bad
How about Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland?
Also, can you swing by Pittsburgh? Maybe visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water?
And you're not interested in Chicago? Maybe your visitors would be.

Tussiemussies
6-10-13, 10:01pm
Hi again, there are, in the book I mentioned, two road trips in Michigan. One is tha Lake Michigan tour and the other is The Scenic Sunrise Shore. Looks like at the top of MI there is easy access to WI where there is an Upper Pensulia Drive. I just saw in your original post that you are not interested in this area....

You can always contact the Visitor's Bureau of the state to see what attractions are available.

The Upper Peninsula Drive will take you through Hiawatha National Forest, and very close to the Seney National Willife Refuge. Then up around Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Then down to the lakes which will take you to Mackanac Bridge. There is a couple of pages on each place you woul go through.

The other ride is The Sunrise Scenic Shore which takes you down the right edge of Michigan taking you through another small state park and various cities as you drive past the shores.

Here is where you can get further information:

Travel Michigan
www.michigan.org
888-784-7328

300 N. Washington Square
Lansing, MI

If you would like I can scan the pages of each trip and email them to you...:) chris

PS I looked at that Michigan website and they have a lot of information about attractions.

ctg492
6-11-13, 7:35am
Being a Mi native, we sometimes forget the beauty we have right here, the Great Lakes and the big river. Going to the Falls would be great too.

Bartleby
7-1-13, 9:13pm
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Tussie, I agree with your book. The Upper Penninsula is one of my most favoritest places on the planet. Unfortunately, my wife is sick of it...

Tussiemussies
7-1-13, 10:35pm
Hope you find just the right spots. Have fun! Chris

Tradd
7-1-13, 10:39pm
What about the Wisconsin Dells?

chrisgermany
7-2-13, 4:33am
If you go to Niagara Falls, you might consider the Tower Hotel. It is perfectly located IMO, has rooms with great view (ask for full falls view) and is less expensive than the other hotels with view (maybe except Oakes Hotel, next door) because there are no bells and whistles, ... Cheap parking is available a short walk away, lots of breakfast options.
Make sure to stay on a night with fireworks.
Nothing can beat to wake up and see the falls from the bed, or at night to watch the falls + fireworks from your room.

Bartleby
9-1-13, 10:13pm
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Took Chris's tip on the fireworks and had a very delightful little trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake.

razz
9-2-13, 5:38am
Glad to read that you enjoyed your trip to one of the loveliest places, Bartleby.

Tussiemussies
9-2-13, 9:00pm
Sounds really nice. Glad you had a good time...

Spartana
9-4-13, 1:50pm
I've only been thru Niagra falls once but thought it was a cute area with some beautiful scenery. Not too touristy at all (well just a bit but not too kitchy). Glad you enjoyed it.

Bartleby
9-6-13, 8:47pm
I've only been thru Niagra falls once but thought it was a cute area with some beautiful scenery. Not too touristy at all (well just a bit but not too kitchy). Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the immediate area around the falls is a bit of a zoo but a lot of fun in the right state of mind.

On the Lake and the surrounding wine country is very lovely indeed.

Azure
9-7-13, 8:59am
Sounds like a great trip. We've been to the falls twice and really enjoyed it both times. Though we were disappointed that for some reason the fireworks never happened on the one night we were there to see them. Loved the boat ride and the walk to the bottom of the falls!

chrisgermany
9-8-13, 6:54am
Thanks for your trip summary. I am happy the fireworks were worth watching.