PDA

View Full Version : Glue advice?

Gardenarian
6-19-13, 6:57pm
We seem to have a lot of different kinds of glue and epoxy but nothing works when I want it to.
Do you have favorite products?
Just wondering what actually works - mending ceramics, for wood projects, paper crafts.

Has anyone tried "Yes" paste? I was looking for the old fashioned paste that came in a jar with a brush, but apparently it no longer exists. You can get rubber cement, but I hate the fumes.

Thanks!

redfox
6-19-13, 7:12pm
We use different glues for different applications. Nothing that I am aware of is universally good, as molecular differences mean bonding agents are specific to the item being glued.

JaneV2.0
6-19-13, 7:36pm
I've had good luck with Crafter's Pick ("the ultimate") after other glues failed me.

Gardenarian
6-19-13, 8:32pm
I'll check out Crafter's Pick.

I'm not so much looking for one-glue-fits-all as the best adhesives for different things.
I don't like using glue sticks with paper as they waste so much plastic, but regular white glue makes the paper ripple.
I've had mixed results with Krazy glue - good for putting a handle back on a mug, but not much else.
Gorilla Glue is incredibly messy.
I've used silicon adhesive for some outdoor products, but it seems to lose its stick after a while.

Anyone use those glue dots?

Jilly
6-19-13, 9:59pm
Yes is great for paper. You can thin it if you like, but you have to be careful, otherwise paper will crinkle.

I like Gorilla Glue for secure holding or fixing, but it is messy. Or, maybe I am messy. It was the recommended (practically 'insisted') glue for a public art project a few years ago. I bought it and hated it. It ran all over the place, even when parts were held in place and was terrible to try and clean off of the places it nearly ruined. I finally gave up and used two-part epoxy. I like glue sticks and glue guns and plain, ole' Elmers. The only success I have had with the super glues is in some jewelry making and closing small cooking cuts.

I thought that silicone adhesive would work to fix my garbage can. Like glue sticks/glue guns, the adhesive cannot survive extreme cold or much heat of any kind.

For the paste in a jar, do you mean the kind that is white and has a cool scent? I have recently seen that at a craft store.

Gardenarian
6-19-13, 10:45pm
Yes is great for paper. You can thin it if you like, but you have to be careful, otherwise paper will crinkle.

I like Gorilla Glue for secure holding or fixing, but it is messy. Or, maybe I am messy. It was the recommended (practically 'insisted') glue for a public art project a few years ago. I bought it and hated it. It ran all over the place, even when parts were held in place and was terrible to try and clean off of the places it nearly ruined. I finally gave up and used two-part epoxy. I like glue sticks and glue guns and plain, ole' Elmers. The only success I have had with the super glues is in some jewelry making and closing small cooking cuts.

I thought that silicone adhesive would work to fix my garbage can. Like glue sticks/glue guns, the adhesive cannot survive extreme cold or much heat of any kind.

For the paste in a jar, do you mean the kind that is white and has a cool scent? I have recently seen that at a craft store.

Thanks Jilly!
Yep, the white kind we used to eat at school as kids (dating myself!) Also called "library paste". I'll give "Yes" a try (though it is a little expensive.)

Tussiemussies
6-19-13, 11:26pm
We also use Gorilla Glue for basic things. I think that Gorilla Glue may have come out with a Super Glue. We use super Glue for broken China and things that need a better hold. A nice ceramic waste basket that I paid a lot for got a long crack in it and I used super glue and I treat it gingerly but it has been fine! :)

Jilly
6-19-13, 11:30pm
It is expensive, but I have had the same jar for at least six years and it is still going strong. Using this stuff is proof that less can be more.

I love that old school paste. The smell of new crayons and construction paper. Finger paints. Nice. I am so glad that I have grandchildren that love those things as much as I do. The youngest, 4, is insane for Sharpies. We were reluctant to let him use them, much less have access to his own, but they are so precious to him that he never uses them inappropriately. One of the sisters of my son-in-law is buying him one of the big sets for his birthday in September.

The problem with school paste, though, is that whilst it is great for quick use things, but it really does not have staying power. All of these relatively simple supplies give us so much pleasure.

Thank you so much for starting this thread. A chance to just groove on the pleasure of artsy fartsy stuff is just what I needed tonight. hearts...hearts...hearts...hearts...hearts