PDA

View Full Version : My shaving test

Rogar
9-30-13, 9:18pm
So, I needed new blade cartridges for my fancy modern triple blade razor. I had forgotten how much those little devils cost. A little online search said that there is something of a cult resurgence in shaving with the old double edged thin metal blade shaving and plenty of information about what to buy and how to use them. I bought a 1955 Gillette double edge razor for ten bucks on eBay (apparently some of the styles have become popular and fetch upwards of a hundred dollars) and a handful of blades for about a quarter each.

I used double edged shaving as a young man but had to go through a short relearning process on technique. After about a month of practice I am pretty happy with the results. Takes a few minutes more but gives a closer shave. Once I got into it I bought a brush and soap, so no more pressurized cans of foaming chemical. I'm sort of estimating a monthly savings of $3 to $5 a month which isn't huge, but no more disposable plastic and metal blade cartridges or shaving cream cans. Plus, I sort of like shaving and it reminds me of the days when my dad would shave with a brush and razor. I'm not much on the dirty face unshaven look and electric razors never worked for me.

So far a win-win. I like it better and it saves a little money. Not sure how this would work out for the ladies, but Gillette made lady double edged razors, too.

ToomuchStuff
10-1-13, 12:28am
I buy the inexpensive dual blades and I get a good long time out of them. Soap in the cup and the brush, works SO much better then the can foam with these, IMHE. Whenever it seems like it isn't cutting as well, or your done shaving, REMOVE THE BLADE, clean it (reinsert if going to continue shaving), and then dry the blade, completely.
Clark Howard in a book, said he gets a year out of a blade by washing and drying it. I was at four months when the blade I was using, tore.

bae
10-1-13, 12:34am
I've done a quick test the past couple of months between Merkur "Double-Edge" SS Platinum Blades, which had been my go-to blades for my touch-up safety razor, and Feather "High Stainless Platinum" Double-Edge Blades, which are alleged to be "better and sharper" by my vendor.

Verdict: The Feathers are indeed quite noticeably sharper from the start, however they don't seem to maintain their edge as long as the Merkurs do (subjectively, they seem to last at best 1/2 as long). The Merkurs are plenty sharp, mind you, but the Feathers are silly-sharp.

Also, instead of soap/mug, I've been trying out Vulfix shaving cream - you dab some water on your brush, touch it to the cream, and you are all set. It's a bit less fuss than soap/mug, and easier to travel with.

http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/ProductPhotos/3-DSC00018.JPG

Use this information as you will.

Tussiemussies
10-1-13, 12:44am
I buy the inexpensive dual blades and I get a good long time out of them. Soap in the cup and the brush, works SO much better then the can foam with these, IMHE. Whenever it seems like it isn't cutting as well, or your done shaving, REMOVE THE BLADE, clean it (reinsert if going to continue shaving), and then dry the blade, completely.
Clark Howard in a book, said he gets a year out of a blade by washing and drying it. I was at four months when the blade I was using, tore.

I tried this and unfortunately it did not work for me....I need a good alternative for women...

SteveinMN
10-1-13, 9:06am
I've been shaving like that for more than six years now. I do enjoy it, both in a practical sense -- it takes some skill to do it well but not too much for a very close shave -- and in an ecologic sense -- there's a lot less waste and my skin is in much better shape than it was when I used canned foam.

When I first started "wet-shaving", I tried a lot of what's out there. I tried both the Merkurs and Feathers and found they're almost polar opposites as blades: the Merkurs are OK for my face but last a long time; the Feathers probably are the sharpest blades out there (for a couple of days anyway) but my face can't handle them daily. I've pretty well settled on a single razor and blade combination (Gillette "Slim Adjustable" and Dorco 301s) and change up the soap when I feel like it. There are some great shaving creams out there, but I find soap stores and travels better.

I count it as a better habit to have gotten into. :)

Rogar
10-1-13, 12:58pm
Steve and Bae, Thanks for the tips! I'm still working my way through a trial batch of Wilkinson Swords and will try some of what you mention. I got a good price on a brush-less shaving creme in a tube which I've been alternating with soap and brush. It probably travels easy, too. I'm using a Gillette Super Speed, but remember liking the adjustable when I was young. I may have to pick one up someday.

SteveinMN
10-1-13, 6:53pm
Rogar, one other tip I will offer you and whoever else may be thinking of this method of shaving: I wasted a lot of time (and likely a chunk of money) flitting about from product to product before I'd nailed down technique. So many new products to try! But you -- anyone, really -- are much better off sticking with one razor, one blade brand/model, one brush (if you use one at all) and one soap or cream while you're figuring out what works best for you.

Of course, if a particular brand of product is too harsh for your face or your skin reacts to an ingredient in a soap or cream, get rid of it. Once you're comfortable with how to shave well, though, if you want to change something, change it. But you'll know what you're changing and why and you'll be able to figure out how to adjust your technique to get the results you want.

rosarugosa
10-1-13, 7:42pm
DH & I share shaving cream and we always use stuff from a tube or a container like Bae shows above, never spray foam.

DrJulieAnn
10-13-13, 6:24pm
Not sure how this would work out for the ladies, but Gillette made lady double edged razors, too.

I've been using a double-edge safety razor sized for women's hands for about 13 years. Even with store-brand blades and soap and water, the shave is better than any razor that purports to turn me into a Venus. The few times I've been forced to use one of those triple-bladed gadgets (TSA isn't too keen on double-edged blades in carry-ons), I've been horrified that anyone would pay a king's ransom for a such a cruddy shave. I'm a bit lazy (don't dry off the blade) but I still manage to get about 3 weeks of daily shaving out of a single blade.

Technique is important...otherwise you'll end up with lots of nicks. But, once you've got it down, even the most sensitive areas can be shaved smooth with even soap and water without unsightly razor rash.

bae
10-13-13, 6:56pm
I will however not widely recommend the approach I took when I had to take off my entire beard for the live-fire training at the state fire academy :-)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GgxQTTzzZBs/UUium2nzGgI/AAAAAAAAHc4/zZd4j3H4Mzw/s720/Awesomized.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d6OJ3PNJWKc/UUpKVVeoXQI/AAAAAAAAHeE/wiYpUKZZOJA/s287/Awesomized.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jicdrrvrrm8/UUpKA1b7YxI/AAAAAAAAHd8/rteKDguYmnY/s197/Awesomized.jpg

Tussiemussies
10-13-13, 9:44pm
OMGoodness you really tore up your skin with the approached you tried. Glad you won't be doing that again...