PDA

View Full Version : Huge Marathons, etc. Why?

CathyA
11-3-13, 11:21am
I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm just trying to understand cities that have huge marathons. Like NYC is having one today with 45,000 entrants. All the money spent for security, etc......
And I guess at marathons, there's always tons of clothes/junk left behind by the runners. Think of just the number of disposable water bottles!
I'm into quiet/solitary places and experiences, so maybe I will never understand. But these huge events are so expensive and energy consuming, and trash producing.
They just don't make alot of sense to me.

Miss Cellane
11-3-13, 11:34am
Does it help to consider that those 45,000 people had to qualify to run the New York marathon? That not just anybody can sign up for it? That they have to have drawings to choose from among the many people who would like to run in the marathon?

Okay, probably not. But the "big" marathons draw a lot of interested runners, and the promoters of the marathons do their best to let as many people run as they can. They get money from the entrance fees, plus the publicity of having a big event. I looked it up, and people had to pay an $11 fee to get their name in the drawing for a space, and then over $200 or $300 to actually run.

And while you and I are introverts and wouldn't want to take part in a huge mob scene, a lot of people do like this type of activity. Or they just want to challenge themselves to see if they can run a marathon.

Video games are also expensive, and energy-consuming and trash-producing. But at least with marathons, people have to get outside and practice running in the fresh air.

leslieann
11-3-13, 11:52am
And the clothing people let go gets gathered and used. And the event generates revenue for the city, over and above costs (or they wouldn't do it). I was fortunate to run NY one year: it was an amazing experience. You don't have to qualify on time but there is a lottery for spots, so entries are LIMITED to 45K....interestingly. I live in a city with not many more people than that in our entire population. It was an astonishing experience to be in the gathering area before the race (at seven am before an eleven am start) with people from all over the globe, who only have in common an interest in long distance running.

iris lilies
11-3-13, 1:20pm
I don't care whether people run a marathon or not, makes no difference to me. But I do hate it when the Rock 'n Roll marathon plants its big fat self in my city, making entry to and exit from our neighborhood near impossible. And then, just when I get out and think I've escaped the thing, I find it blocking the place where I'm heading such as the Botanical Gardens. ugh. Fortunately it is over for this year.

I believe that the Rock 'n Roll Marathon sets up shop all over the country, it is not just a St. Louis event.

sweetana3
11-3-13, 1:43pm
We just had what is called the Monumental Marathon. 13,000 runners and walkers. Just one day so I can get away from it. During the Indy 500 Parade it is a much bigger deal in a more concentrated space around our house. We do get away then too.

sweetana3
11-3-13, 1:45pm
ps next year we are planning on finally being able to participate in the training and take part. Never fit enough to do it previously.

ApatheticNoMore
11-3-13, 3:17pm
I don't care if people like to run marathons either (different strokes) only annoying if it interferes with what I want or need to do. It does seem to appeal to the corporate type, all day in the cubical on your @$$, training for marathons in your free time, work hard, play hard, compete.

Sigh .... how did I end up here anyway? Oh well head down, carry on. But I'll choose a walk in a natural place or a place with interesting landscape architecture in my free time as well, an unexpected flower, the pattern of plants leaves, a vista that forces a deep breath, and then I feel all could not be more right in the world .... for once.

Dhiana
11-3-13, 5:06pm
These events bring in revenue for places that hold them. It's not just the athletes, but their family/friend/supporters, etc. Most events start so early in the morning it's best to get a hotel for everyone the night before. Everyone needs to eat so it fills the restaurants. All bring in more revenue for the city.

It provides volunteer opportunities for those kids that need it to graduate. Gets others interested in moving more, challenging themselves to be more fit. This stuff is expensive!! So it is more likely to be populated by white collar workers. An Ironman is $700 - $900 for the non-refundable entry fee!!

Sometimes our neighbors do these things and inconvenience us, yet sometimes we do activities that inconvenience our neighbors. Such is life.

razz
11-3-13, 5:29pm
I see it as a goal for one's life. It takes real dedication to prepare for a marathon and actually run it. We all set challenges of some kind so some choose running and the family supports us just as do figure skating, ball, music competitions, etc. Of course, all the city businesses benefit.

lac
11-3-13, 6:13pm
I've completed 4 marathons and each was an amazing experience, from the friendships during training to the extreme physical challenge on race day. Yes, they mess up traffic for one day. It's one day.

ToomuchStuff
11-4-13, 2:09am
This could be asked about anything. Sporting events, Halloween, etc. etc. etc.

Made me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA

bUU
11-4-13, 6:45am
An event like the New York Marathon, barring impediments (such as the airport shutdown last year, the week prior to the marathon) generates about $340 million of economic activity for the city. [Source: ESPN.] That includes the economic activity generated by the New York Road Runner's club, itself (which wouldn't be a significant economic entity if it were not for the marathon), the money infusion associated with sponsorship, the charitable donations, and the money spent by participants, officials and spectators (many of whom are visitors to the city, visiting the city with a runner). [Source: Business Insider.] That's before factoring the impact of the prestige holding a number of such events affords the city.

CathyA
11-4-13, 8:36am
An event like the New York Marathon, barring impediments (such as the airport shutdown last year, the week prior to the marathon) generates about $340 million of economic activity for the city. [Source: ESPN.] That includes the economic activity generated by the New York Road Runner's club, itself (which wouldn't be a significant economic entity if it were not for the marathon), the money infusion associated with sponsorship, the charitable donations, and the money spent by participants, officials and spectators (many of whom are visitors to the city, visiting the city with a runner). [Source: Business Insider.] That's before factoring the impact of the prestige holding a number of such events affords the city.

That's sort of what I'm saying. Where do we get our perspective back? Yes, anything can make money. But why does that have to be so important? Seems like when we have to constantly make things bigger and bigger, we're just buying into the same old same old. Its implied that if we aren't constantly growing, then we're dying.....as communities/states/nation.

There used to be a nice little mini-marathon in the city near here. Now it advertises as "The biggest mini in the nation"......"more runners than ever". People from other nations have come to win it.
I'm frustrated with things constantly growing........expected to always get bigger and bigger and bigger.........or it must not be doing it right.

I guess when I saw the news about everything that needed to be done/spent/used for the NYC marathon, it hit a nerve.
I know things will never change, and the majority of people are into this "growth and development"......no matter what the price/consequences. People say to me "Its here to stay, so get used to it. There's no stopping progress". I'm saying "why?" Isn't there a better life?

Gardenarian
11-4-13, 2:47pm
I am not interested in taking part in these big events either. I can see that it would be inspiring for marathoners to run with others, but in the end...it's just a run and a party, right?

I guess if cities didn't make money from things like marathons and such they would have to find another way, quite possibly worse.

San Francisco has some huge thing going on every weekend, so if you just want to go the museum or the zoo it becomes a big hassle. The bicycle races are getting to be a pain too. I don't object to bike riding - by all means, ride your bike! But do we have to turn everything into a carnival?

CathyA
11-4-13, 2:59pm
That's what I'm seeing Gardenarian............the U.S. becoming a big carnival. A big thing they did for the Super Bowl was to put zip lines in downtown on one of the streets. Since it was such a big success there, they have put them in a big beautiful, wooded park too. Its like everything takes off like crazy. I do see it all as a carnival. And what I like and enjoy, is sooooo very far from the maddening crowds.......

JaneV2.0
11-4-13, 6:09pm
San Francisco has some huge thing going on every weekend, so if you just want to go the museum or the zoo it becomes a big hassle. The bicycle races are getting to be a pain too. I don't object to bike riding - by all means, ride your bike! But do we have to turn everything into a carnival?

Or a competition. Fortunately, I'm out here in the woods. All we get is an occasional bike rally.

puglogic
11-4-13, 6:23pm
This could be asked about anything. Sporting events, Halloween, etc. etc. etc.

I agree. Why Halloween? Why sporting events like football games? Why holiday/homecoming parades? Why political rallies or the March of Dimes walks or Christmas Sing-a-longs or 5K fun runs or dog shows ....?

Just because I don't partake, or because it temporarily inconveniences me, doesn't automatically mean it's worthless. I've known many people who trained for NYC, Boston, even Ironman competitions. It meant a lot to them.

Spartana
11-4-13, 8:16pm
As others have pointed out, marathons are like any other large event, people want to attend enmass to participate or watch and they want all the hoopla, shared comradaree, enrgy, and excitement of that event. Marathons - really any large event - brings in big bucks to the local community and helps small businesses. Many events also raise millions of dollars for charities too - think of the Susan Komen breast cancer runs. As far as people enjoying, or not, those events it's just an individual thing I'm a marathoner who personally hates the crowds and hoopla so now do ultra marathons - long distance trail runs in beautiful natural settings with few people. To me a big marathon like NY or Boston just means really big crowds, horide parking, and - the worst - extremely dirty outhouses :-) ! But I can see why so many people like them the same way they like Mardi Gras or a big street party. They can be fun, and also inspirational, to many many people to take part in them -or just to be in the crowd. As to why people enjoy running those distances or competing? Again, it's an individual thing but I believe most people like challenges in their lives - whether it's doing the crossword puzzle, growing a garden, finishing a quilt, or running a long distance.

Packy
11-5-13, 10:33am
Organized Running has apparently become a cash cow and a fashion statement, as well. There are at least two "McEvents" held in various cities under the guise of charity fundraisers, and the runners need not be fit--they are there just to have a good time, be fashionable & wear lighted hoops or have colorful dust thrown on them--just pay the $50. Being timed is optional, to save embarrassment. That said, it is wise to be selective about which events you enter.

Gardenarian
11-5-13, 2:39pm
As to why people enjoy running those distances or competing? Again, it's an individual thing but I believe most people like challenges in their lives - whether it's doing the crossword puzzle, growing a garden, finishing a quilt, or running a long distance.

The challenge I understand - I like to push myself to climb farther, higher, steeper, longer.
I've never enjoyed competition and have difficulty understanding the point of it.
I think the competitive/noncompetitive schism may be one of those deeply defining character traits.

Spartana
11-5-13, 3:54pm
The challenge I understand - I like to push myself to climb farther, higher, steeper, longer.
I've never enjoyed competition and have difficulty understanding the point of it.
I think the competitive/noncompetitive schism may be one of those deeply defining character traits. Well I think most people in marathons are competing with themselves to see exactly how far they can go, and how fast they can get there, not with any intention of winning or even placing. No one can beat a 125 pound Kenyan who can run full out at 13 plus mph for 2 hours anyway so there is never that hope anyways. So challenging yourself is what it's all about for most people not just competition - or just having fun as Pace said above - or both. Many people do better in the company of others rather than alone - quilting bees, community gardens, etc... . It can often push you further and having that shared comradrie and goal is very motivating. Personally I do it so I can eat whatever I want :-). OK just joking...sort of :-)

Spartana
11-6-13, 12:22pm
Organized Running has apparently become a cash cow and a fashion statement, as well. There are at least two "McEvents" held in various cities under the guise of charity fundraisers, and the runners need not be fit--they are there just to have a good time, be fashionable & wear lighted hoops or have colorful dust thrown on them--just pay the $50. Being timed is optional, to save embarrassment. That said, it is wise to be selective about which events you enter.
I look at that as a good thing. If all the hoopla and fun and craziness bring more people to a running event I say great! Even if someone isn't there to compete but just to enjoy the carnival, they are still walking that 26 miles, they are still supporting local business, and, if it's a charity event, they are still giving. Much better than a fried food and booze-a-thon at a NASCAR event or similar spectator event.

oldhat
11-11-13, 11:18am
Much better than a fried food and booze-a-thon at a NASCAR event or similar spectator event.

Maybe not. Here's a Ted talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0) by a cardiologist who makes a persuasive case that endurance sports aren't particularly good for you. I think he's right. The human body wasn't designed by nature to run; it was designed to walk and run in short bursts.

pinkytoe
11-11-13, 11:33am
do we have to turn everything into a carnival?
Austin has multiple runs, walks, festivals, marathons, naked bike rides, weiner dog races etc going on constantly year-round. It sounds like a great thing until you do something practical like try to get out of your neighborhood or go downtown when all the roads are blocked off and fight the massive crowds that participate. I would love to be able to go downtown just once and not deal with teaming masses involved in competitions or party-making. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy...Related, I think that running on pavement is not a good thing.

CathyA
11-11-13, 11:42am
Maybe not. Here's a Ted talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0) by a cardiologist who makes a persuasive case that endurance sports aren't particularly good for you. I think he's right. The human body wasn't designed by nature to run; it was designed to walk and run in short bursts.

Actually, I think we're meant to walk/run on all fours! How about a marathon like that?! :~)

CathyA
11-11-13, 11:43am
Austin has multiple runs, walks, festivals, marathons, naked bike rides, weiner dog races etc going on constantly year-round. It sounds like a great thing until you do something practical like try to get out of your neighborhood or go downtown when all the roads are blocked off and fight the massive crowds that participate. I would love to be able to go downtown just once and not deal with teaming masses involved in competitions or party-making. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy...Related, I think that running on pavement is not a good thing.

Naked bike rides? Eeewwwwwwwwwwwww :moon:

iris lilies
11-11-13, 12:25pm

It is such a disappointment to DH that our city's naked bike race isn't really performed naked, at least, not by the cute girls.

pinkytoe
11-11-13, 4:31pm
What I really like are the naked full moon bike rides! For whatever reason, their route goes right by our house. Sometime in the middle of the night, one will hear a lot of hooping and hollering as scores of naked cyclists go flying by in the moonlight.

CathyA
11-11-13, 4:33pm
Speaking of naked people...........where is Loose Chickens? :)

mm1970
11-12-13, 11:14pm

I did one of those dust runs...uh, I didn't get it. At all. I did not particularly enjoy myself.

Tussiemussies
11-12-13, 11:53pm
Saw an article recently by Dr. Mercola on Facebook, he was discussing how triathlons and long marathons and all of the training that goes with it, is very negative for the heart....

Spartana
11-13-13, 2:21pm

I couldn't get this but I agree that running a marathon - really doing any sport - can be very destructive to the body. I don't know anyone who does sports to be fit. Just the opposite - they get fit first so that their bodies can take the punishment and abuse of most sports with minimal pain and discomfort and harm to their bodies. But it's that "getting fit first so you can run a marathon or do a sport" that I feel is much healthier than sitting in the stands of a NASCAR event downing beer and brats and deep fried onion rings. Although that may be more fun :-)!

Spartana
11-13-13, 2:30pm
Saw an article recently by Dr. Mercola on Facebook, he was discussing how triathlons and long marathons and all of the training that goes with it, is very negative for the heart....

I'll have to look that up (no facebook though) before I agree or disagree. As someone who is a distance runner and plays a lot of sports, I have seen only positive effects of my training and conditioning in all aspects of my health and fitness. However, maybe I'm doing long term damage to my heart or other organs that I'm not aware of - other than to my trashed out body parts - I am very well aware of that (isn't that why God invented orthopedic surgeons :-))!! But none of that would stop me anyways. Playing sports, running, extreme recreation, etc... are things that I find extremely fun and challenging and wouldn't give them up even if all my innards were dying a slow death each time.

bUU
11-14-13, 5:53am
Any time you use a tool in a manner inconsistent with how it was designed to be used to run the risk of damaging the tool more so than if you were using the tool consistent with how it was designed. I am a bit confused about the reticence to grant that running marathons is such an inconsistent use. One can condition the body to mitigate the risk, but not eliminate it. By the same token, the conditioning itself (short of practice runs of the marathon itself), which perhaps is only motivated by the achievement of the ability to withstand the rigors of the contest, has positive impacts that cannot be ignored. So there is a real question whether the risk posed by the marathon itself is greater or lesser than the risk of not even making the effort, i.e., being sedentary or only casually active. It seems clear to me that there is both added risk, and defensible reason, for marathoning.

bae
11-14-13, 1:11pm
However, maybe I'm doing long term damage to my heart or other organs that I'm not aware of - other than to my trashed out body parts - I am very well aware of that (isn't that why God invented orthopedic surgeons :-))!! But none of that would stop me anyways. Playing sports, running, extreme recreation, etc... are things that I find extremely fun and challenging and wouldn't give them up even if all my innards were dying a slow death each time.

Well, Spartana, I think we as society are ending up paying for the costs of your "fun and challenge". If we can ban Big Gulps and trans-fats, surely we should think about banning marathon running and other unhealthy lifestyles.

Spartana
11-14-13, 2:44pm
Well, Spartana, I think we as society are ending up paying for the costs of your "fun and challenge". If we can ban Big Gulps and trans-fats, surely we should think about banning marathon running and other unhealthy lifestyles. And I will thank the American taxpayers for my new knees when I get them :-)! Of course if you're going to ban marathons you'll also have to ban all high school and college and pro sports, all recreational activities, bike riding and well.... pretty much any activities that may potentially harm you. We'll all just watch TV and eat bon-bons for recreation :-)!

But seriously, I know that I am fitter and healthier for my age than someone who is more sedendary. I don't have arthitris or any of the aches and pains most people my age seem to have. I don't have any of the health risks many people my age seem to have also and am probably less prone to develop heart disease, diabeties, etc.... So I attribute that to being fairly physically active all my life. Would I be just as fit and healthy if I just walked an hour or 2 a day and did some light weight lifting instead of running or biking or playing volleyball everyday? I think I'd be just as healthy and my body would probably be a lot less stressed and have less potential damage, but I would not be anywhere nearly as fit physically as I am now. I think of health and fitness as two totally different things - often times they can be in opposition but more often they can co-exist together. Deciding what is more important to you - overall health vs. a higher fitness level to do punishing activities - is an individual thing. I choose the latter knowing that it may cause me more problems health-wise down the road. But then amore sedendary life and a diet of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey and Chubby Hubby everyday will probably cause even more damage health-wise down the road. And I probably couldn't run my trail runs if I did that :-)!

Spartana
11-14-13, 2:49pm
I did one of those dust runs...uh, I didn't get it. At all. I did not particularly enjoy myself.I don't like those myself either so stick to trail runs (often called ultra marathons or ultra running but they also have shorter distances too). Very fun, few people, no hoopla, nice soft trails (and often lots of rock climbing/scrambling too), and in beautiful settings.

ApatheticNoMore
11-14-13, 3:38pm
And I will thank the American taxpayers for my new knees when I get them :-)!

knee problems run in my family, usually more from obesity than being runners, but I figure anything that's bad for the knees is probably not good for me and I need to take up running about like a need a hole in the head :treadmill: (it only hurts his chin since he has no knees)