PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel cookware brands

Geila
3-9-11, 5:52pm
I'd like to see what others have found in the quality of stainless steel cookware. Do you have a favorite brand?

I went to buy a Cuisinart stainless steel w/ aluminum core skillet and found that they are only sold by the set - $150 for a 10 pc (on sale 40% off at Penney's). But the Cook's brand by JCPenney has a 13 pc set on sale for $170 (50% off). The Cook's brand has a better selection in their set for the way I cook but I'm a bit worried about the quality. Has anyone used Cook's brand? Has anyone by any chance compared the two brands?

Also, has anyone compared the stainless with a copper bottom vs the aluminim core?

Sorry for the slew of questions!!! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

JaneV2.0
3-9-11, 6:18pm
I don't have a favorite brand; I've picked up pieces here and there--TJ Maxx is one place to get individual pans. Also Tuesday Morning and other discounters.

loosechickens
3-9-11, 6:19pm
I have three Revereware saucepans that are about 40 years old, with the copper bottoms, a 1 qt., 2 qt. and 3 qt. and I love them. BUT.....I've seen Revereware pans in stores in recent years that I don't think are nearly as good a quality as the ones I have, and if I were to try to replace them, I think I'd haunt thrift stores and eBay for old ones. Mine just seem heavier and better quality than the current ones......

I use these pans on an everyday basis, and together with my well over 50 year old Griswold iron skillet, do most of my cooking with them.

Rosemary
3-9-11, 6:43pm
My cookware is the tri-ply (stainless-aluminum-stainless) from Macy's, store brand. I bought it about 8 years ago and it has held up extremely well.

If you're comparing brands, compare the weight of same-sized pans. Thin pans will make it much more difficult to cook without burning everything.

H-work
3-9-11, 7:00pm
I've heard good reviews on Costco's set, if that's an option for you.

Gina
3-9-11, 8:42pm
I've picked up my pieces here and there, mostly used, and one gift, so they don't match. I adore the All-clad brand, but it's very expensive. Also very heavy. I also have an Emeril which is very good, a Wolfgang Puck from qvc, and a couple pieces from costco. They are all good, and cook well. The Wolfgang pieces were rated very well, and you can buy them via the qvc website by the piece (I think). Wait till wolfgang is giving a demo on the channel, and they'll often have deals on the shipping. A good value.

The costco stuff is just as good, but I think you mostly have to buy whole sets.

The biggest difference between All-clad brand (cream of the crop) and the less expensive brands is all-clad has the cladding (layers of metal for best heat distribution) not only on the bottoms, but also up the sides of the pans. I don't think that's necessary. Just on the bottom is good enough if price is an issue.

No matter what you buy, make sure you go into a store to check them out in person if possible. You don't have to buy them there, but look and feel them.

Make sure you get the tri-ply bottoms, they are not the same as older stainless pots with copper bottoms. The newer ones have much thicker bottoms and distribute the heat much more evenly - and are a joy to use.

A lot of the complete sets have good prices, but they also often have extraneous pieces that to me are not very useful. You can go online and find many alacart pieces. Just type in the brand and size and go from there.

Don't be in a hurry - there is much to learn.

(If I could, I'd have all All-Clad - but the price is outrageous. I'm happy to have just one sauce pan which I got as a gift and use as often as possible.)