Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelly chicken safety

Smelly chicken safety

I bought this cut up chicken 3 days ago, stuck it in the fridge, and went to use it today to make a curry, but it smelled really 'chickeny', and I am concerned it may not be safe to eat. I really hate wasting food, and I know that modern Western aesthetics and hygiene standards err way way on the side of caution.

Is smelly meat safe to eat?
    Is there a way of reclaiming such meat?

I don't think I'd eat it. Where hygeine issues are paranoid is worrying about bulk bins being dirty and canned beans being past their expiration date and so on (I don't think there's much chance of getting sick there). With raw meat safety you need to be careful. I do think some cultures find more ways to eat smelly and basically rotting meat/chicken but ... not sure I'd risk the type of diseases modern meat can have. 3 days from purchase of course SHOULD be safe to eat but it may have been sold to you just prior to expiration (especially if it was some super bargain - yea that's why )
    Trees don't grow on money

The consequences of eating bad food are pretty unpleasant, more unpleasant to me than the lack of frugality. That's how I make the decision.

Smelling "chickeny" is oky.......but not smelling rotten. Could you tell the difference? Is your fridge in the correct coldness range?
    I'd say if it doesn't smell rotten, go ahead and use it, but be sure to cook it well.

I'd pass - whenever I get something that smells off, I remember all the times I've seen food "abandoned" in the aisles (someone decided they were not to going to buy it and left it there), wondering how long it was sitting there and if someone just threw it back in the cooler when they found it.

Salmonella poisoning is BAD. I'd throw it out immediatley.

Chicken goes bad quickly. I always package it up within 24 hours of buying it at the store and freeze it.
    The last package I purchased was slimy as in being "old" so I washed it thoroughly (probably what we should all do with store-bought chicken anyway, wash off as much bacteria as we can) and froze it.

Have since eaten it--all is well.

"When in doubt, throw it out."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I'm tossing a package of hamburger today. Forgot I bought it 6 days ago. I'm not even going to do the sniff test.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Sniff test it all I need too. I'm super thrifty on not wasting foodstuffs, and I cook foods that are past their prime and don't smell "quite right". But I trust my nose to know when I need to just go ahead and throw it out. There's a difference, to my nose anyway.

Thread Information