Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How lazy are you on Saturday mornings?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I did just the opposite. For the last dozen years of my career I was a one-man shop devising, maintaining and overseeing DEA required security requirements for a small pharma manufacturer. When I decided it was time to retire, I knew the company would need to recruit just the right person who would then require a certain amount of time to be brought up to speed on systems and processes. As a result, I announced my intention to retire in early January, 2018 and actually retired on August 1, 2018. I couldn't bring myself to consider it not my problem, but rather as my responsibility.
    Kinda my take on it too, Alan. Although not as high of a responsibility as yours, I do feel some integrity toward making sure the next person is well-trained. I don't want to leave that way, with chaos and uncertainties in my wake. They have known of my intention to retire since last summer, but then my boss changed his sabbatical plans due to the pandemic and begged me not to leave until his return. THEN HR decided (after I itemized for a month everything I do--they were clueless) to rewrite my position description. So, now I wait...frankly I think they added too much, and should hire a contract person to do social media/web and just leave the position as an admin. But, not my decision.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I suppose it depends on one's job and one's relationship with their employer how much notice is reasonable. Based on KayLR's brief description it sounds like HR is trying to force her into staying longer than what she had planned by dumping additional responsibilities onto her that she never signed up for. I wonder if they even increased her pay when they did this. My guess would be no since she questions whether they would find a new employee. The answer is probably not unless they come up with significantly more money than they are paying her. Frankly her boss should have stayed until she had retired and her replacement hired and trained before he went on his delayed sabbatical. If she retires and the department turns into chaos in her absence it's on him. Given these circumstances I wouldn't feel bad about leaving, or I would at least go to HR and tell them that I was willing to stay for a set period of time (3 months? 6 months?) while they find a replacement (temporary or permanent) and that person gets brought up to speed, but that I will only do that with a commitment bonus from employer. Otherwise I will be turning in my two weeks notice by the end of the day. Then the company can decide how important she really is.

The bottom line is that no one should spend sunday night dreading having to go to work on monday. Some people have to because they need the income. Since KayLR was planning to retire anyway it sounds like she doesn't need to make herself miserable for an employer that doesn't seem too concerned about her well being.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Kinda my take on it too, Alan. Although not as high of a responsibility as yours, I do feel some integrity toward making sure the next person is well-trained. I don't want to leave that way, with chaos and uncertainties in my wake. They have known of my intention to retire since last summer, but then my boss changed his sabbatical plans due to the pandemic and begged me not to leave until his return. THEN HR decided (after I itemized for a month everything I do--they were clueless) to rewrite my position description. So, now I wait...frankly I think they added too much, and should hire a contract person to do social media/web and just leave the position as an admin. But, not my decision.
    From this 10000 foot view, they are manipulating you into staying because they believe you'll stay (and you have!). Only you can decide your date so I would do it. Be it 3 weeks or 3 months. Give notice. You obviously want to retire. They are not going to do it for you.

Corporate loyalty is an oxymoron--it is only a memory, if it ever existed.
    I agree; submit your notice and don't give it another thought.

Thanks, but a few apps are trickling in. So I will heed my conscience and stay through training the next person. This is not a corporation; it's a non-profit, and I care about it too much to leave it in the lurch.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Thanks, but a few apps are trickling in. So I will heed my conscience and stay through training the next person. This is not a corporation; it's a non-profit, and I care about it too much to leave it in the lurch.
    That's commendable, I very much respect that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's commendable, I very much respect that.
    I agree with Alan - (just kidding!!! LOL)

Good for you, Kay. Do what you feel you need to do and leave feeling good about your departure.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information