Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How lazy are you on Saturday mornings?

I know this is an old thread, but it strikes close to home right now. With working a second shift for the first time in my life, and having such a physically demanding job during the week - Saturday is now my "recovery" day. I may get a few little things done here and there, but for the most part, I'm just trying to relax and - almost literally - wake up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I think it is smart to plan a quiet recovery day for our well-being and especially when the schedule is so different. The trick is to make it happen. What does that take - less perfectionism, more planning on alternative ways of doing, re-evaluating what is truly necessary vs routine - are a few thoughts that come to mind.

Something simple that happened in my life as an example. My bed had bedsheets, covered with a cotton blanket and a duvet on top. The blanket was so long and a pain to strip for laundering the sheets and then when remaking the bed. I finally realized that the blanket was an unnecessary routine addition that I had for years without questioning. Life has been better without it. Other things have similar effects when I really examine if they are necessary at all.
    Yay for relaxing Saturdays!!!!!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

When I worked I always had a stay at home day to rest.

I did all our errands and laundry and house chores during the M-F workweek no matter how long the days. Weekends were sacred time: play, rest, relax, recover.

I also find that Saturday is my "day of rest"--I've often thought that Sunday as the traditional day of rest doesn't work for me. By Saturday morning, I'm tired from work and schedules and demands. Sometimes I say I'm going to be busy on Saturday, but instead the day just gets away from me by me just doing nothing. It feels good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am busier on Saturdays, then relax and do "me" things on Sunday. Having said that, I never sleep well on Sunday nights in anticipation of going back to work in the morning. I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I am busier on Saturdays, then relax and do "me" things on Sunday. Having said that, I never sleep well on Sunday nights in anticipation of going back to work in the morning. I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.
    What do you do and can it be done remotely???

LOL. Yes, I'm still looking for another job!

Edited to add: Seriously! Feel free to pm me.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have to teach one of the weekend days, remotely, so I teach Saturday morning, then take off from noon through Monday morning. Well, that's the theory, but in reality I also work some during that stretch of time.

So I guess Sunday is my relaxing day, although Saturday afternoon feels great, with "school out" for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.
    Someone filling your job is not your problem. If you're ready to retire JUST DO IT! My boss was quite surprised I gave only the required 28 days notice. I followed policy and not a day more. Leadership jobs take average 6-9 months to fill. Not my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Someone filling your job is not your problem. If you're ready to retire JUST DO IT! My boss was quite surprised I gave only the required 28 days notice. I followed policy and not a day more. Leadership jobs take average 6-9 months to fill. Not my problem.
    I did just the opposite. For the last dozen years of my career I was a one-man shop devising, maintaining and overseeing DEA required security requirements for a small pharma manufacturer. When I decided it was time to retire, I knew the company would need to recruit just the right person who would then require a certain amount of time to be brought up to speed on systems and processes. As a result, I announced my intention to retire in early January, 2018 and actually retired on August 1, 2018. I couldn't bring myself to consider it not my problem, but rather as my responsibility.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information