Page 596 of 601 FirstFirst ... 96496546586594595596597598 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,960 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

  1. #5951
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It helps to review the context of things like that. As I recall an Under Secretary for Science and Technology at Department of Homeland Security mentioned a study showing disinfectant and sunlight easily killed the virus on non-porous surfaces. Trump then ad-libbed something to the effect that wouldn't it be nice if we could find a way to have the same effect inside the body, using light or some other medically approved substance, possibly by injection. Social media and the mainstream media then went crazy alleging he was suggesting people should inject bleach or other cleaning products into their bodies. Now, several years later, that's what most people remember, including yourself it appears.
    yes, it was DJT, Alan, in, one of his off the cuff comments, and I remember specifically his tone and words. It was at one of Fauci’s daily press conferences.

    We can still make fun of Trump for it but it’s just The Donald being Donald. It’s not like he ordered The FDA to certify anything weird for consumption to attack coronavirus.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-21-24 at 8:50am.
    I am not a serious person.

  2. #5952
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,662
    the conspiracy theories that turned out correct are stuff like covid is airborne, and it wasn't even conspiracy theorists pushing that, it was some scientists some journalists etc. (but granted the WHO took forever and maybe never got on board)
    Trees don't grow on money

  3. #5953
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7,481
    In the early 20th century, before antibiotics, the sanatariums would put people out in the sunshine for TB and it seems to have worked to some extent. I am a massive believer in fresh air and sunshine to kill germs and try to hang out laundry all the time for that reason.

  4. #5954
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It helps to review the context of things like that. As I recall an Under Secretary for Science and Technology at Department of Homeland Security mentioned a study showing disinfectant and sunlight easily killed the virus on non-porous surfaces. Trump then ad-libbed something to the effect that wouldn't it be nice if we could find a way to have the same effect inside the body, using light or some other medically approved substance, possibly by injection. Social media and the mainstream media then went crazy alleging he was suggesting people should inject bleach or other cleaning products into their bodies. Now, several years later, that's what most people remember, including yourself it appears.
    And I recall a cabinet secretary, Housing and Urban Development, if I recall correctly, who stupidly went to what was obviously (at least to any of us in the reality based world) going to become a super spreader event, despite being a doctor who should have known better, and then nearly died as a result. The dumb****ery of republicans during the pre-vaccine days of this tragedy were shocking. I do also recall though that he had a really nicely decorated office. So at least he had that legacy to be proud of...

  5. #5955
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,172
    Rob, to answer your question on a more mundane level, we learned that we can take some basic precautions like masks and hand sanitizer to avoid spreading germs from the common cold, etc. In our clay studio, it's become the norm to mask if there is a virus in one's household.

  6. #5956
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Social media and the mainstream media then went crazy alleging he was suggesting people should inject bleach or other cleaning products into their bodies. Now, several years later, that's what most people remember, including yourself it appears.

    Trump touted hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, as possible treatments. They are antimalarial drugs with absolutely no medical evidence they would work, plus serious side effects. Remdesivir was part of his treatment and I know people who asked for it. He also tried Regeneron's monoclonal antibodies. I don't think anyone took the suggestion to inject disinfectant seriously, but it showed his lack of any scientific knowledge and an idiot for even suggesting it. It was overplayed by the media. But as you say, it's interesting that people only remember those things that support their political or cultural leanings, case and point.

    I can vaguely recall actual physical altercations in hospitals where patients were on ventilators and dying and relatives were insisting upon some of these unproven and unsupported treatments, but refused the vaccine. I can't recall where the anti-vaccine movement started and what conspiracies were behind it, but RFK Jr. didn't help the issue. I also put the anti Fauci movement as conspiracy.

    I do still see people wearing masks occasionally. Especially clerks in stores where there are a lot of people. I have friends with pre-existing conditions who still avoid crowded places like restaurants and big public events. I'm a little cautious about that myself. I had Covid last spring, which wasn't all that long ago. I probably picked it up while visiting a person in a long term care facility where it was going around.
    Last edited by Rogar; 2-20-24 at 10:47am.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

  7. #5957
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,282
    My coworker went to ER just last week and ended up with a 2-3 day hospital stay due to COVID. It's still out there and it is still hitting people differently - some have no symptoms while others end up in the hospital.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  8. #5958
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,827
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    My coworker went to ER just last week and ended up with a 2-3 day hospital stay due to COVID. It's still out there and it is still hitting people differently - some have no symptoms while others end up in the hospital.
    Covid is still killing people at dramatically higher levels than the flu does. I realize that this is awkward for the anti-maskers but sometimes reality is awkward... My best friend had covid in the summer of 2020 when she lived in NYC during the first big wave there. Her only symptoms at the time were loss of taste and smell. A month after she thought she'd recovered she developed long covid. The headaches. The fatigue, etc. She has been dealing with it ever since. Three and a half years of not being able to walk more than a half block down the street before becoming exhausted.

  9. #5959
    Yppej
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Covid is still killing people at dramatically higher levels than the flu does. I realize that this is awkward for the anti-maskers but sometimes reality is awkward... My best friend had covid in the summer of 2020 when she lived in NYC during the first big wave there. Her only symptoms at the time were loss of taste and smell. A month after she thought she'd recovered she developed long covid. The headaches. The fatigue, etc. She has been dealing with it ever since. Three and a half years of not being able to walk more than a half block down the street before becoming exhausted.
    But masks don't work. Did you watch the video I posted of a toddler "wearing" a mask? Masks work a little bit in a lab setting on a stationary dummy having particles shot at it. They don't work in the real world.

  10. #5960
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    But masks don't work. Did you watch the video I posted of a toddler "wearing" a mask? Masks work a little bit in a lab setting on a stationary dummy having particles shot at it. They don't work in the real world.
    According to the Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, WHO, the CDC, and Harvard Medical, masks are effective at reducing the spread of Covid. It's possible they missed your video.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •