Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easter dinner choices?

Easter dinner choices?

Just for fun, I am trying to see what people are choosing to do.

For Easter dinner - turkey, ham, BBQ or ? Do you plan on 'hot cross buns'? What day are you choosing to celebrate with your dinner? What are you choosing for dessert? Are you having an Easter egg hunt this year? Did you decorate for Easter?
    Still trying to decide for myself on all questions.

I have a neighbour who loves crafty decorations for the house inside and out for each separate occasion. This year she created a 6 foot carrot with a ironing board wrapped in orange mesh and topped with an artificial large fern. Looks good from the street
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I put out a few decorations. No young children, so no egg hunt. I did put together some small gifts for the young adults. We'll go to church Sunday morning (skipping sunrise service and breakfast there). Dinner is at our house about 3:00 for 6-8 of us. Ham, cheesy potatoes, grilled asparagus, a spring salad, rolls (probably not hot cross buns), deviled eggs and a dessert. I suggested strawberry shortcake to my SIL - we'll see what they bring. Oh, and wine.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

We aren't all vaccinated so it will be just us and the kids until the whole family can do something after all vaccines which will be about mid may and we are calling it Cheaster dinner because we had to skip Christmas too.........
    That said, none of us are excited about ham - ever. So we will be having bacon wrapped filet mignon, mushrooms and asparagus, parmesan and rosemary roasted yams and a salad. My sister took on my mom's famous lemon pies so we will have to wait for Cheaster to have those. My son is a kitchen wizard and said he would whip up a desert he had been working on and it will be a surprise. Can't wait to see it. Last mother's day he made ice cream which he put in parfait glasses and then made flower petals out of mango slices on the top so they looked like bouquets.
    I have a ton of daffodils and the tulips are just starting to get ready. The house is full of daffodils. Bulb flowers are my favorite. Even though we are all adults, we still do Easter baskets for each other.

It will be just another Sunday here. No Easter dinner.

The only,Easter thing I did was to send an Easter card to my 8 year old pen pal.

Country-style boneless pork ribs, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn and roasted carrots ... by request. Not sure about dessert..... make pick up a pie and ice cream?

We're having a brunch and egg hunt. Even though my grands are getting pretty old (11 an 18), the older one is special needs and his sister will do it cuz she's always up for fun. This is something I have done every for the past 7-8 years as my DD likes to do the other big holidays at her own house. That's ok. I like Easter best because it harkens the coming better weather and getting to do things outdoors.

We'll have ham, deviled eggs, asparagus, fruit salad, rolls--maybe potato salad or a potato casserole. I have been wanting to make hot cross buns, but don't think I'll get to it. I usually make meringue cookies.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Oh, meringues - I love those. All of your plans sound delicious. For us, Easter for the past 15 or so years has been at a semi-local fried chicken place. Well, they have perch and walleye too. With chips - aka fries. Simple and good. It's more of a celebration of Spring - none of us are very religious, and some of us are of a more atheistic bent. Last year of course we didn't go, and this year we're putting it off until mid May. Our youngest just got their first shot last week so we should all be ok to get together by then, if the restaurant is open. Haven't checked. If not, we'll get something to go and eat at a park. I'm excited - we social-distance visited last year, masked and outside, but it's been a long winter and I miss my kid! So this Sunday, the only thing different will be that DD will not have to work. I think. Usually her worksite is not open for major holidays.
    Last edited by early morning; 4-1-21 at 10:11am.

I absolutely love perch and always eat it when I go to Wisconsin!

We don't observe Easter, so no special plans.

It looks like this will be the first major holiday since DW's sister passed away last fall that almost all the family will be together, so we're looking forward to it. I think almost all of us have had at least one shot of vaccine except for DD and her family (hosting). Potluck brunch, with a couple of egg bakes, deviled eggs, a French-toast bake, deviled eggs, bacon-wrapped cocktail wienies, a nice spring-y salad, and deviled eggs. I have never seen a family swoop into deviled eggs as quickly as this family does. But since I'm among those swooping in (a relatively safe bet for a low-carber), I can't say much. You bring deviled eggs, you bring home an empty tray. Win-win, eh? Unless there's ham in one of the egg bakes, it won't make an appearance at the table.

Those who want to go to church will attend before brunch. We will have an Easter egg hunt for the three toddlers. I hope there are lots of laughs and good memories created. It should be in the 70s on Easter, so that should be nice, too. It will be nice to get back to kind-of-normal.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information