Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would you travel right now?

I'm hoping to get a couple long weekend camping trips in. Not too far away, but far enough - LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Disgusted to see a few of the states we wanted to go to are taking away the mask mandate and opening up even more. So, that trip is off the table.

Well I guess lots of states are opening up everything, including California at this point, so we have a mask mandate but now they want to allow concerts and stadiums etc.. I have tried and tried, racked my brain to understand how this virus transmits (not as an expert of course, but just to understand the situation), and tried to understand how state policy has made any sense in light of it. I think I know less and less all the time. All those things I though I figured out I have to learn again. I'm literally getting dumber or something.

But state policy like allowing concerts does NOT make any sense? That probably is, I'm quite willing to vote them all out and can't even say I'm entirely unsympathetic to recalling Newsom (as if I ever voted for him in the first place - nope - even Jerry Brown thought that guy was an airhead) even though it's being done for the wrong reasons, I'm just trying to give the powers that be the benefit of the doubt though. As soon as EVERYONE WHO WANTS ONE can get a vaccine, and 2 weeks after the last shot of such availability has passed, open up everything. No it makes no sense to keep stuff closed at that point. BUT WE ARE NOT AT THAT POINT AT ALL, they are still rationing the darn vaccines to certain groups while they seem to be trying to kill everyone else who isn't in those groups.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I reserved two nights of camping at the City of Rocks State Park down near Deming, NM in mid-May. K. is not a camper so this is a solo trip for me. I need to somewhat reclaim the girl I used to be. I have camped there before; the campsites are quite far apart in these really cool rock formations, so social distancing is no problem. It's only a couple of hours drive from home so it makes a great little quick getaway.

My mind still loves the idea of tent camping, but I have to admit that physically it is getting really hard to crawl in and out of a tent. I got rid of my Thermarest sleeping pad and bought an inflatable Coleman air bed that you can blow up using your car's cigarette lighter and an electrical adapter. Trouble is, it is basically as big as the floor of the tent so I need to figure out how to blow it up while INSIDE the tent because it is really hard to fit it through the tent door blown up outside. I'll have to get a longer plastic hose, I guess.

I am looking forward to this, as it reminds me of my solo travels from Michigan every year to the desert Southwest. I need that sense of adventure back in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I reserved two nights of camping at the City of Rocks State Park down near Deming, NM in mid-May. K. is not a camper so this is a solo trip for me. I need to somewhat reclaim the girl I used to be. I have camped there before; the campsites are quite far apart in these really cool rock formations, so social distancing is no problem. It's only a couple of hours drive from home so it makes a great little quick getaway.

My mind still loves the idea of tent camping, but I have to admit that physically it is getting really hard to crawl in and out of a tent. I got rid of my Thermarest sleeping pad and bought an inflatable Coleman air bed that you can blow up using your car's cigarette lighter and an electrical adapter. Trouble is, it is basically as big as the floor of the tent so I need to figure out how to blow it up while INSIDE the tent because it is really hard to fit it through the tent door blown up outside. I'll have to get a longer plastic hose, I guess.

I am looking forward to this, as it reminds me of my solo travels from Michigan every year to the desert Southwest. I need that sense of adventure back in my life!
    Siouzq I’m rooting for you in taking off on your little solo adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post

That sounds great! Maybe instead of a longer hose would it be possible to get a longer cord, or an extension cord, for the machine?

Will be camping soon. Group I'll be with have all been vaccinated, plus all have separate cabins/tents/etc. Have been told social distancing will still be practiced and masks worn when warranted or more often as each individual feels necessary. Should be fun as it is a group of individuals who really care about each other and each other's safety and health!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Taking Amtrak with a friend to visit another friend in California for 5 days.

You can buy an electric air pump, suitable for mattresses, for about $20 on Amazon.

Leaving tomorrow to go for a few days bird watching a few hours away. We will stay in a motel with outside exit... has great reviews. We're both vaccinated so plan on eating in restaurants. It is not going to be warm enough for outside seating. SO LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING AWAY!!!

Thread Information