Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: December Purge

The desk and the file cabinet both went, as did two large bookcases that I did not want to move, either.
    Tomorrow will add a chair or two and a cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The desk and the file cabinet both went, as did two large bookcases that I did not want to move, either.
    Tomorrow will add a chair or two and a cabinet.
    Tybee: When are you planning to move?

Top Care brand mouthwash which tasted horrible is down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Tybee: When are you planning to move?
    Well, the pod is here now, but we are having a snow storm, but husband has started loading the pod. I think it is supposed to get picked up Wednesday, but we can get more time if we need it.

I am painting rooms as they are getting emptied, and I keep thinking I have packed everything, but it's layers.

Too a slew of stuff to Goodwill yesterday, really nice stuff that someone can use and I don't want to move.

So maybe next week?

Yesterday had a banner day getting rid of stuff, and thank goodness I insisted we do it yesterday, before the snow made it too late. A cabinet, very large and heavy, that my husband had made, two more chairs, two beautiful Kohler sinks (VERY heavy), and another another big dresser because I have been dragging it around for 20 years and I am sure I can find a nicer one where we are going.

Letting go is definitely the theme this week.

Nothing like moving across the country to motivate getting rid of stuff. I have done that. I usually try to sell furniture versus giving it away.

That would have a good thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, the pod is here now, but we are having a snow storm, but husband has started loading the pod. I think it is supposed to get picked up Wednesday, but we can get more time if we need it.

I am painting rooms as they are getting emptied, and I keep thinking I have packed everything, but it's layers.

Too a slew of stuff to Goodwill yesterday, really nice stuff that someone can use and I don't want to move.

So maybe next week?

Yesterday had a banner day getting rid of stuff, and thank goodness I insisted we do it yesterday, before the snow made it too late. A cabinet, very large and heavy, that my husband had made, two more chairs, two beautiful Kohler sinks (VERY heavy), and another another big dresser because I have been dragging it around for 20 years and I am sure I can find a nicer one where we are going.

Letting go is definitely the theme this week.
    God bless you! You are taking me back to my own downsize. I know it's not easy, but at the end, it feels good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    God bless you! You are taking me back to my own downsize. I know it's not easy, but at the end, it feels good.
    I am clinging to that thought--right now it feels awful and surreal.

(The snow is what added the surreal element!)

Went through 3 large bins of old paper stuff last week, old shop paperwork, writing, snapshots, etc. all jumbled together. Filled the paper recycling bins to the tippy top. That got taken to the dump today. There's a large bin of shredding to go to Staples, probably in chunks, and a smaller pile to be filed. Unfortunately, there's still one large cardboard carton o' papers to go through.

I've always hated filing. This is what I get...

Found, again, a German silver table scarf that had been my grandmother's. Probably looked wonderful in her Victorian dining room. I don't have such a thing; we live in a log home. I've owned this thing for over 30 years and never had a place to put it. It's beautiful, but it's in the antique store. I don't care that it was Grandma's I never knew her. I'm tired of storing it!

After months of trial, pulled 6 teaspoons to take to the antique store, next time. They came from an auction lot earlier this year and neither of us like the stuff we got at auction as much as the collectible stuff we'd had originally, so I put it back...

I finally got a plate rack. Hurrah! It's on top of the china cabinet. They both need to be painted, as they're both pine and arrived well used. But using the plate rack and china cabinet solves my problem of having to lift heavy plates in stacks into the kitchen cabinet. I already donated the diner dishes. They work fine, but were just too heavy. If I find some enamel plates I love I may indulge, but in the meantime, this is much better!

I have 3 small rugs I've been stitching together to make one big one in a color combo I love. I've been pecking away at this for some time. I had stretched it out and discovered that this type of rug will solve an ongoing problem -- the laundry needed one and the door wouldn't clear what I'd tried. I have extras of these, so I used one. Yay!

We bought a new, smaller dining room table and a kitchen cart. This also solves some of the aging issues. The cart replaces the file drawer which came off blue in my hands 2 weeks ago. Both of these pieces came from Habitat. The new table has a little storage with it as well, which is great.

Good for you, NewGig. It's so satisfying to find solutions to some of those ongoing household annoyances!

Thread Information