Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Laundry detergent not in a bottle

  1. #41
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,480
    I have facecloths that are washed every week after one use and I have not noticed any change in absorbency. I do not use a fabric softener which I believe coats the fibres impairing absorbency but not sure of that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

  2. #42
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    11,227
    I hate fabric softeners and dryer sheets.

  3. #43
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,791
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I have facecloths that are washed every week after one use and I have not noticed any change in absorbency. I do not use a fabric softener which I believe coats the fibres impairing absorbency but not sure of that.
    It's my understanding that fabric softener shouldn't be used on towels because it will make them less absorbent.

  4. #44
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    6,527
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It's my understanding that fabric softener shouldn't be used on towels because it will make them less absorbent.
    Mine, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  5. #45
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,978
    So, I looked up all the ingredients for DIY laundry detergent on Amazon, and whether you buy them separately or as a "kit" it's around $28 for 4 bars of Fels-Naptha, 3.5 lbs of washing soda and 4 lbs. of Borax.

    Then I read in the reviews that you can get everything much cheaper locally, so sure enough, if I buy the same stuff at my local supermarket it comes to half as much--around $15. So I'm going to buy that today as I'm out of my regular detergent.

    One of the reviewers on Amazon says that this quantity lasts him a year. That would be a big savings for me. And it's better for the environment with no plastic packaging.

    Thank you for your input on this, Tybee & razz.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I looked up all the ingredients for DIY laundry detergent on Amazon, and whether you buy them separately or as a "kit" it's around $28 for 4 bars of Fels-Naptha, 3.5 lbs of washing soda and 4 lbs. of Borax.

    Then I read in the reviews that you can get everything much cheaper locally, so sure enough, if I buy the same stuff at my local supermarket it comes to half as much--around $15. So I'm going to buy that today as I'm out of my regular detergent.

    One of the reviewers on Amazon says that this quantity lasts him a year. That would be a big savings for me. And it's better for the environment with no plastic packaging.

    Thank you for your input on this, Tybee & razz.
    I used to make this when my kids were young and money was very tight. I'm thinking I may go back to this for the environmental reasons - i.e. less plastic, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    5,395
    Catherine, I think you will be so happy you did this! Yeah, the kit is a real rip off. I will say that instead of Fels Naptha, I use a bar of Yardley lavender soap, and it seems to work very well and smells faintly of lavender.

  8. #48
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,978
    I love the smell of lavender! I'll give that a try!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,054
    I am going to ask where did you all see the receipe? I wonder, because one thing I read (and lost when that computer died, and took its most recent bookmarks), said just to use your favorite soap?

  10. #50
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,480
    TMS, here is the recipe I use. I make mine with my food processor to mix to a finer blend.
    https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-...etergent-soap/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •