Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: January Purge

I think we need to keep things for the people we are now and not for who we think we will be in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think we need to keep things for the people we are now and not for who we think we will be in the future.
    Not sure that I agree with this. I have kept stuff that is coming in handy now such as a supply of fabric and yarn. Life was so busy for a long while that they stayed in storage for years but I am using them now as the opportunity and need arises like making covid masks.

I keep garden tools that will be easier to use in the future but not used as much now.
    I think it does help to anticipate future needs in purging efforts.

My golf clubs I let go despite being able to golf easily now but my wants changed with time and interest I would rather walk my dog than golf as an example so while I sort of understand your view, I have reservations.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not sure that I agree with this. I have kept stuff that is coming in handy now such as a supply of fabric and yarn. Life was so busy for a long while that they stayed in storage for years but I am using them now as the opportunity and need arises like making covid masks.

I keep garden tools that will be easier to use in the future but not used as much now.
    I think it does help to anticipate future needs in purging efforts.

My golf clubs I let go despite being able to golf easily now but my wants changed with time and interest I would rather walk my dog than golf as an example so while I sort of understand your view, I have reservations.
    I think it's a balancing act like so many things. We all know or know of people with crazy collections of jars or boxes or string being saved with the justification that it might be needed someday. It's also kind of foolish and wasteful to get rid of something and then have to buy it again, especially if it isn't cheap or easily sourced.

I had some extra tomato cages and pots that I thought I might use in the future, but yesterday, I figured out I don't need 10 tomato cages and 20 empty flower pots, so today I gave away 4 of the cages and 6 of the flower pots. It's a start.

New total for month: 45.

I think it's a balancing act like so many things. We all know or know of people with crazy collections of jars or boxes or string being saved with the justification that it might be needed someday. It's also kind of foolish and wasteful to get rid of something and then have to buy it again, especially if it isn't cheap or easily sourced.
    +1

Still have rabbit cages, chicken nest boxes, and related in the barn. Plenty of room for them there, and expensive to replace, should we decided to raise food animals again. It's not hard work, so our advancing age shouldn't be much of an issue, lol. I'd not had a garden in years but was really glad this past year for tomato cages, canning jars/lids/rings that I'd kept in the barn and/or cellar (not a good place to store any of the stuff I complain about needing space for). Also was able to use some of the seeds I had stashed. One never knows! I've also heard quite a few complaints from people who really missed those craft project materials and school supplies they'd Marie Kondo'd because they didn't spark enough joy. I DO get rid of stuff, and I know I over-think it, but overall that has served us well.

But of course YMMV!!! And way to go, ejchase - your journey to a happy tidy and pretty home inspires me! Thanks for inviting us along for the ride. . .

I have never missed or had to rebuy anything I have gotten rid of.

A person in my local Buy Nothing group is collecting items for homeless people, so I offered a bunch of knitted hats, mittens, socks, and scarves. She offered to pick up because my ability to walk or drive is currently limited. I knit to relax and having less stuff in the apartment is relaxing, and people have something warm to wear. I'm calling today a win.

I sold an heirloom. It was a 6' netted German silver runner. I sat in a drawer my entire childhood. It sat in a drawer for the 20+ years since my Dad died. Why keep it? I was ready to take to auction, but it sold last week.

Yay!

Hana, it’s definitely a win. For years I knitted 100 scarves a year for the homeless. I may start again. New gig, it feels great to sell stuff that has been sitting around not being used. I just realized although my condo is a good size it only has 2 closets. I do have a storage area in the basement. I have a big box of photo albums that can go down there. My kids were going to rent a small storage area for their 4 snow tires and 60 big plastic bins for moving but now they won’t have to.

I made a big sweep through earlier in the month, but I’m going to go down to the next level. Probably this weekend as we’re supposed to get a lot of snow on Sunday.

Thread Information