Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets

I used to buy percale sheets on sale at a department store. I loved them and they lasted a good while. Then bought from Lands End- they lasted forever, but the next purchased Queen flat sheet was reduced in size so now I buy a King top sheet and queen flat. We have 2 sets of cotton and 2 sets of flannel for our bed. I made linen pillowcases for me and the others are smooth cotton from a linens outlet. Last time I bought a cotton fitted sheet ( the 10 year old one was thin) from Vermont Country Store. It is wonderful. None of them are cheap in price, but we sleep every night....so good value for us and they feel good!

4. Antique flat sheet with Appenzeller embroidery. Iíve been wanting an old European bedsheet for quite a while and this one came up on eBay. Itís beautiful and Iím not sure of the fabric. It may be probably is a weave of cotton thatís not especially smooth. The seller didnít think it was linen. I trust her because she deals in antique linens. It is beautifully laundered and ironed. I fear that when I actually use it and wash it itíll get wrinkly. But we shall see itís very beautiful.

I'll be interested in how they wash up and feel on the bed,Iris Lilies.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    4. Antique flat sheet with Appenzeller embroidery. Iíve been wanting an old European bedsheet for quite a while and this one came up on eBay. Itís beautiful and Iím not sure of the fabric. It may be probably is a weave of cotton thatís not especially smooth. The seller didnít think it was linen. I trust her because she deals in antique linens. It is beautifully laundered and ironed. I fear that when I actually use it and wash it itíll get wrinkly. But we shall see itís very beautiful.

I'll be interested in how they wash up and feel on the bed,Iris Lilies.
    I probably wonít have an answer for you for a year. I plan to drape it on my day bed in my condo. But yeah I wonder if it will be wrinkly beyond use or if it will just be normal wrinkled which I will accept.

I'm curious, does anyone here starch their pillowcases in the summer? When I was a kid my mother used to do this, but she stopped doing mine after I complained. She was shocked because she thought the crispness felt cooler. I just thought they were scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm curious, does anyone here starch their pillowcases in the summer? When I was a kid my mother used to do this, but she stopped doing mine after I complained. She was shocked because she thought the crispness felt cooler. I just thought they were scratchy.
    I slept in a dormer bedroom in a small Cape Cod with no AC and I did put pillowcases in the freezer and take them out before I went to bed sometimes, but I never ironed them for crispy coolness. Interesting.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    OH, wow, bae, that is cool! I love the designs, especially the bats - so William Morris, but.... bats!!!
    I know! I think I might need a set of the blue and white sheets with bats!

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    OH, wow, bae, that is cool! I love the designs, especially the bats - so William Morris, but.... bats!!!
    My house is mostly furnished with Craftsman furniture/art, so the Morris-inspired designs really work well for me, especially those bats! The mid-century-modern patterns are also silly fun.

I use LL Bean's Pima Cotton Percale sheets for the summer and they are very smooth and cool. So far very durable too. My winter duvet cover is LL Bean flannel, and it's stayed nice longer than cheaper flannels. I'll be buying a flat sheet to match that soon (for my Japanese shikifuton mat that I use as my bed).

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I use LL Bean's Pima Cotton Percale sheets for the summer and they are very smooth and cool. So far very durable too. My winter duvet cover is LL Bean flannel, and it's stayed nice longer than cheaper flannels. I'll be buying a flat sheet to match that soon (for my Japanese shikifuton mat that I use as my bed).
    I love percale so will have to check those out for summer.

I buy sheets 1 at a time, as we need them. I culled the collection to 2 sets per season: winter/flannel and hot weather/cotton. I intend to make an extra large flat sheet, the next time one of the hot-weather bottom sheets dies.

I hate fitted sheets, because they almost always look messy in storage.

Our Ikea bed has a shallow mattress and it's HEAVY. I'd like a traditional box spring/mattress, but I think my chances of getting that are between slim, none, and not at all.

Thread Information