Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    for me it is such a dilemma, quality vs junky fiction.

the junk stuff tends to be easy to dive into, but it is not satisfying.

the good stuff tends to require more effort to step into the author’s world. But then, worth it.

but my short attention span any more, fed by too much pod casting and you tubing, keeps me from being able to appreciate good fiction. I cannot think of the last good novel I read, it has been a very long time.
    I think there's a place in my life for both. I've read 12 books so far this year, and I would say the list is weighted towards decent quality fiction. Two books were kind of thriller/junky books that were just quick and easy entertainment, one was a memoir, one was heavy-duty literature, so that leaves 8 that I would describe as decent quality fiction. I don't have well-defined criteria though, so one could certainly debate my categorizations.
    My analogy would be food. I love potato chips, but as an occasional indulgence and not as a dietary mainstay.
    I'm also not a big fan of short stories, although there are some I am quite passionate about (The Lottery and The Yellow Wallpaper come immediately to mind). If you'll excuse another analogy, they are like one-night-stands instead of more substantial relationships, but I realize that some of them are exquisitely crafted gems.

I can't say I enjoyed the Donner Party book as it is depressing but it is written in a way that holds my attention. I just like the history of the West in general.

The Removed, a contemporary Native American novel.

I just finished Her by Harriet Lane, and I really enjoyed it. It was a psychological thriller. I found it to be well written and it held my interest pretty effectively. It was a fast, easy read. I think if anyone was undecided about motherhood, this book would talk you out of it (although that's easy for me to say, of course). Emma's life with two tiny children sounded rather like hell on earth. Nina's little acts of cruelty in the guise of kindness were very cleverly sadistic.

Those Who Forget. This book has debunked the myth I had developed that France was an ally in World War II. Everything from their administering a section of Germany after the war to the character of Le Beau in Hogan's Heroes led me to believe it, but the level of collaboration with the Nazis, and amnesia about it since, is pretty appalling.

ETA: I now finished the book and it puts Germany in a favorable light because it did the "memory work" of coming to terms with its past, vowed never again, and under Angela Merkel welcomed refugees.
    Last edited by Yppej; 5-26-21 at 3:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I just finished Her by Harriet Lane, and I really enjoyed it. It was a psychological thriller. I found it to be well written and it held my interest pretty effectively. It was a fast, easy read. I think if anyone was undecided about motherhood, this book would talk you out of it (although that's easy for me to say, of course). Emma's life with two tiny children sounded rather like hell on earth. Nina's little acts of cruelty in the guise of kindness were very cleverly sadistic.
    I really liked this as well!

I would call it “psychological suspense” a less charged term than “thriller” Because all the people who gave it a bad review seemed to be expecting real “thriller “attributes. Those reviewer’s claim nothing happened in it. It moves slowly as molasses. Etc.

They are wrong!

The author is a lovely writer and boy you are right she sure did nail the grim world of mothering small children.

Yellow Wife, a novel that has started in slavery and I am hoping will end in freedom.
    Last edited by Yppej; 5-27-21 at 4:52am.

I'm so glad you liked it, Iris! I agree that “psychological suspense” is a better description.
    As a weird little aside, I tend to be quite methodical in my habits (understatement). This book had been on my list for awhile, but it was crossed off with a squiggle as opposed to a straight line. Now a straight line means "done," but the squiggle means I've decided not to do something, so it's not done, but it's no longer waiting to be done either. It's just been removed from the agenda. I can only assume that I read some really unfavorable criticism of the book and decided I didn't want to read it after all. I'm glad I revisited the decision because I really liked the book and I will probably seek out others by the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The Yellow Wife, a novel that has started in slavery and I am hoping will end in freedom.
    That looks like something I would like. Please let us know what you think of it.

Iris, I thought this was interesting about the author: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...lys-always-her

Thread Information