Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

I just finished Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson. I usually like his stuff very much, but I thought this one was pretty mediocre. The plot was pretty farfetched and it wasn't much of a page-turner. I don't recommend it. I have another one by him up next that I haven't started yet, Every Vow You Break. I'll report back on that one.

An Altar in the World, by Barbara Brown Taylor. About discovering the sacred in the small everyday things we do.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Just finished Stone Vase: Selected Writings of Lama Doboom Tulku .
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Ordered a number of Searchlight books..Cutting edge stem.. These are kid's books and put things simply. Figure if I want to get into more depth I will look for others on the subject. DH picked up a few from my pile and looked at them too. Very interesting IMO.

Cutting-edge blockchain and bitcoin
    Cutting-edge brain science
    Cutting-edge augmented reality
    Cutting-edge medicine
    Cutting-edge virtual reality
    Cutting-edge artificial intelligence

Fathoms about the impact of pollution on whales.

The Philadelphia Chromosome and Editing Humanity, both medical science non-fiction. They're well-written, but my mind wanders off.

The Huntress and Love in Color. Both excellent so far!

I finished Every Vow You Break by Peter Swanson. It was a bit more suspenseful that the one I read before it, but I would still just rate it as so-so, not one of his best.
    I also read The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck, which I thought was an excellent read. It follows the lives of 3 women in Germany during WW2 and beyond.

The End of Eddy, an autobiographical bildungsroman novel novel by a gay Frenchman not accepted in his village. It is heartbreaking.

Almost done with "Our Story Begins" by Tobias Wolff. I'd not heard of Tobias Wolff before the Ken Burns Hemingway series where he was featured in several commentaries. I've gathered since that he is a master of the short story and Our Story... is a collection of his stories. I really enjoyed it. The stories are easy to read but involve complex life events and relationships that make you think. Some are a little humorous others more serious if not disturbing, but none are really in the machismo style of Hemingway. One nice thing about the short story is that you can read a few, put the book down for while and come back without losing continuity.

Thread Information