Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Hermann house renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Lumber has tripled in price locally since the pandemic. Some friends are building a house and it’s really costing them. So IL did you set a budget or is it in the doesn’t matter category.
    It doesnt matter. It will cost what it costs. We can hardly set a budget on lumber alone since that is a must have. So, I am not paying any attention to cost of lumber.

Meanwhile, we have still not paid our contractor a dime. He has a crew of men working for weeks now, plus a subcontractor who is digging out a foundation for new sunroom has done work.

One of these days I guess he will give us a bill. It is all very quaint. He must really trust us.

It’s probably because it’s a small town and people are more trustworthy. I can’t wait to see pictures when done. It’s nice to have things just the way you want it.

Time for an update on our Hermann house. All walls are bare to the studs. Sun room is nearly complete in basic construction. New siding nearly complete. We have had no running water inside for weeks now. DH stays there several days each week and lives with that—he goes to the outside spigot to get water. There continues to be a fully functioning toilet, tho.

I stay in the Inn down the street or in the cheap motel in town when I go there.

even though I said DH would not do any work on this house ha ha Ha! He’s there working 3 to 4 days a week. What in heavens name is he doing, you might ask? We have a construction crew there.

Well he does a little consultation with them now and then, but mainly he’s been doing work to save the pro’s time. Recently, placing electric boxes where we want them so when the electrician comes it saves him time. Last week DH started working on the storage areas in the attic bedrooms, planning and building drawers and cubbies under the eaves.

This Works beautifully because our contractor works on a time and materials basis so it’s not as though DH is doing any work inside of a set construction estimate. I will say that he’s already undone a little bit of framing the crew put up according to architectual plans, but that was only two hours worth of their work and DH’s work.
    BFF38C9F-34FA-4E5F-8B9C-E0EAF0108049.jpg
    8BDFB814-A91F-46C6-862E-1BBAD7A81570.jpg

065C7A91-796C-4ED1-97AD-96460FF3BDFA.jpg

6DBF676B-CED4-488B-98A1-029F48C25A01.jpg

Hermann decor: kitchen decisions!

i have finally decided on kitchen cabinets in a cream color, the door pattern being that faux headboard stuff. I could’ve been talking to wood cabinets if I could see in actuality bigger doors in the woods I like, bigger than the samples in the store. So I can’t commit based on the small samples. I’ve always been attracted to beadboard type cabinets for little cottages.

I want a pretty granite countertop. But I don’t want it to be too busy. So I have found, at the big box store, a pretty rather “quiet “but yet interesting granite that has lots of cream in it. The backsplash will be off-white tile in arabesque shape. So to me that’s a lot of non-Color but I think I can jazz it up with accent colors. My dilemma is a red stove? A blue stove? A black stove? A cream stove?

There’s a particular stove I love made by Hallman but I think it’s very cute. I’m stuck its little peg legs. But it comes in a limited range of colors and red is not one of them. And yes I have already ordered a color sample of the burgundy and it is not red. Don’t send me photos of red stoves because I know all of them. If I want a red stove I’ll probably go with Zline or Big Chill. None of them are as cute as the Hallman stove which seems to me to combine old style with new style.

So today I am thinking this color scheme: everything pretty much cream colored with black stove and vintage style black cabinet handles. I could have red accents with appliances and curtains and etc.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-2-21 at 9:06am.

Sounds unique and effective!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Red accents sound like a good idea with your other colors.

I like black kitchen appliances, so I'm on board with your idea. And cream beats white for me, because it's warmer. Thumbs up!

Il, color scheme...good plan for you. I didn't think the Hermann house would be on a hill. My ignorance of mid west geography is to blame. I thought it was all FLAT! Looks like you'll have a nice view. Now, WHERE are the Iris - can you see them from the sunroom?

I'm in favor of the cream/black and red accents, too!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Il, color scheme...good plan for you. I didn't think the Hermann house would be on a hill. My ignorance of mid west geography is to blame. I thought it was all FLAT! Looks like you'll have a nice view. Now, WHERE are the Iris - can you see them from the sunroom?
    This is Missouri River bluffs area so there are hills and valley. Our house sits high on a hill with a wonderful view, hence, the Sunroom and orientation of nearly all windows toward that view.

iris beds are not a big part of that view they are too small and close in to the house.

Thread Information