Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omgosh, Antenna!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Put the PBS app on your Roku. I don't get PBS through fubotv.com but watch PBS through the Roku app. It is nice because you can watch the episodes whenever you'd like... not just at the time it airs.
    THANK YOU! Just did this last night and registered at PBS and last night watched The American Experience episode on eugenics.

There is an amazing amount of free tv on this Roku tv that I did not realize was there. I am now able to watch all kinds of things that I would have needed cable for previously.

Glad it worked for you Tybee! Let us know what other good things you find or enjoy.

I really should explore my Roku. I have a feeling there are treasures in there.

Confused. Based on the title, I am wondering if somehow the Roku works with the antenna, yet my understanding is the Roku requires internet access?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Confused. Based on the title, I am wondering if somehow the Roku works with the antenna, yet my understanding is the Roku requires internet access?
    I don't know. We have never had a Roku tv, but we have had an antenna. At our last house, our antenna picked up 5 stations, PBS twice. That was with an old tv, not a Smart tv. I guess the Roku tv is a smart tv?

We hooked up the antenna and it went through a channel scan and said there were 17 channels. Maybe I will try another antenna hooked up to my old analog tv as an experiment. That would eliminate the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Broadcast stations can be received using an antenna. The Roku features are similar to an external Apple TV or a Chromecast stick or any number of competing "smart TVs" like Android, Tizen, Amazon Fire, etc., where they just build the functionality into the TV rather than an external device that has to be plugged in. The Roku features require Internet access. The TV still works fine for broadcast stations; the options offered by Roku require the Internet.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm chuckling because I have no IDEA what any of you are talking about...I haven't had a television in 15 years (?). We just stream things on the like Netflix, YouTube and Sundance TV on the laptop. I am actually perfectly satisfied with our set up. We were at Costco the other week and right when you walk in there's these HUGE display of HUGE screens and absolutely none of it appealed to me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I'm chuckling because I have no IDEA what any of you are talking about...I haven't had a television in 15 years (?). We just stream things on the like Netflix, YouTube and Sundance TV on the laptop. I am actually perfectly satisfied with our set up. We were at Costco the other week and right when you walk in there's these HUGE display of HUGE screens and absolutely none of it appealed to me in the least.
    We think alike, SQ. I do like my internet though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I went without a TV from 2003 to 2016. I have a 24” TV and a digital antenna I got at Target. Works just fine for me. I will stream some stuff online. My TV is not a smart TV and so I can’t steam anything on it. Laptop works just fine for that. Or even my larger smartphone. I’m fine with what I have. I only watch local news and PBS on actual TV.

Roku is a streaming device with lots of free offerings.

I didn't have a TV until CNN came along years ago. I don't have a microwave, a lawn mower, or a catamaran, though.

Thread Information