Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing rather than throwaways

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Agree, electron it controls are the devil incarnate.

Our neighbor in Hermann has just opened a small engine repair shop. The previous one went out of business two years ago. So I hope he does well.

I bought a refurbished handmixer a couple months ago but the package thieves got to it before I did. I do plan to buy another one though.
    I usually buy them at garage sales. DH ruined the one we had and I had to go buy a new one. I would have had one in reserve but we didn't/couldn't go garage sailing this summer. I will look for a better one at a garage sale this coming summer. The new stuff is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would definitely rather repair my electronics.
    Hubster repaired our Bush stimulus Television (yes we spent it all on a flat screen), with a $4 part. We were told the TV was dead. Fortunately he's an IT person and understands taking apart computer based items and putzing with parts. It still works great. That was back in? 2008

The public libraries in both cities I have lived in offered "repair workshops" for various items.

Various city/county organizations here offer repair clinics similar to the ones mentioned -- usually the guy in the neighborhood who could make any tool out of a couple of empty pop cans and a few rivets that he's had hanging around in his workshop since 2004 and the gal who could create a formal gown using some stained flour sack towels and a knitting needle.

I kid. Seriously, you bring your item and someone who's got some basic tools and an inclination for remembering how things come apart takes a look to see if it's something obvious. It often comes down to a part that needs to be ordered, so it may not be possible to repair it on the spot, but it's a good start and seeing how it comes apart sometimes emboldens the owner to order the part and take on the repair himself or herself. Or they can wait for the next clinic.

Folks here might be interested in an organization called The Repair Association . They're geared primarily toward manufacturers and corporate customers, but individuals can find information of value there. It's an organization working to help keep items repairable from both mechanical/electronic and legal aspects.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I did think of adding this to the thread on plastic but this is different enough to stand on its own, IMO.

From BBC:
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...voidable-waste
    France is making right to repair legislation and repair cafes more popular. It will be interesting to see how widely this approach spreads over the next few years. I would love to use my iPhone and Macbook Air without concern of built-in obsolescence.
    The issues with the IPhone and Macbook Air, that still cause obsolescence issues, is software. Hardware wise, there is a fight here, with repairers, getting kicked off manufacturers forums, for saying things can be fixed. (can find them on Youtube)
    This is one reason why I prefer Open source software. It allows me to use electronics for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Hubster repaired our Bush stimulus Television (yes we spent it all on a flat screen), with a $4 part. We were told the TV was dead. Fortunately he's an IT person and understands taking apart computer based items and putzing with parts. It still works great. That was back in? 2008
    One of the TV's I inherited from late boss, was brand new. Yet it seems to have an issue. I did look on Youtube, and may have fixed it, if not, the part is $7 online, and cheaper then trying to box it up and ship it to the warranty repair place.
    The other, had no remote, which I found a factory replacement, online, for $6.50.
    When my washer and dryer died, after I bought my first house, they were close to 40 years old. Since so many parts places closed, and the internet wasn't big then, I bought new. Now, those are 20ish years old and since I am buying his house, I decided to buy new, rather then try to move the older ones. Ordered this week from Costco, and delivered and installed today.
    I miss the mechanical simplicity, rather then multimeter use and microsoldering.

If you have Netflix, check out The Repair Shop. It's from BBC and it's about a repair shop in a national park. Folks bring family heirlooms of all sorts that need to be repaired. These folks work miracles. I just love to watch it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information