Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sentimental old photos - what to do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    A museum may have found them interesting from a cultural perspective
    Our neighborhood archives would love to have images of this neighborhood from the 1960’s since few people who cared about architecture photographed houses here so there are few images.

Goong through hundreds of slides to find those images tho...nope.

My peers are moving out of this neighborhood at a rapid clip, and are dumping their own household’s “neighborhood archives” on our archivist who fortunately has a triple garage. He digitizes all important stuff and sends some hard copies the public library.

From my peers he gets collection after duplicative collection, items he has seen a million times.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our neighborhood archives would love to have images of this neighborhood from the 1960’s since few people who cared about architecture photographed houses here so there are few images.

Goong through hundreds of slides to find those images tho...nope.

My peers are moving out of this neighborhood at a rapid clip, and are dumping their own household’s “neighborhood archives” on our archivist who fortunately has a triple garage. He digitizes all important stuff and sends some hard copies the public library.

From my peers he gets collection after duplicative collection, items he has seen a million times.
    I am on three different Facebook groups that are there solely to post historical images of hometowns: so I belong to my childhood home FB group, my summer home FB group, and then someone signed me up for the Burlington FB group, which is not really one I connect with on an emotional basis, but I still like looking at the pictures of the way it used to be.

So, does your archivist have a FB page where he can share those old pictures? It's a great way to keep the neighborhood alive in a way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    A museum may have found them interesting from a cultural perspective
    I doubt it, having looked at them carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am on three different Facebook groups that are there solely to post historical images of hometowns: so I belong to my childhood home FB group, my summer home FB group, and then someone signed me up for the Burlington FB group, which is not really one I connect with on an emotional basis, but I still like looking at the pictures of the way it used to be.

So, does your archivist have a FB page where he can share those old pictures? It's a great way to keep the neighborhood alive in a way.
    Our archivist writes regular blog articles with images. Also, All of the images are digitized in a database and are publicly available from our website.

Mom was the photo family queen. She loved photos so much so that there were shelves full of albums, perfectly labeled numbered, some dedicated to just a single family member or friends. She would sit at night and look through an album, great pleasure it gave her. Oh gosh mom passed and there they sat. Dad passed and I stared at the albums. I wanted zero. I felt terrible like there must be something wrong with me. I asked both sons, nope. I asked brother, nope. Husband took one that was Me as a baby, with out me knowing. He said it is very special to him. Yes I tossed all.
    I just am not a picture person. I wonder why that is? I attributed it to Mom being so over the top picture collector.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our archivist writes regular blog articles with images. Also, All of the images are digitized in a database and are publicly available from our website.
    Oh gosh I tried this on FB, my hometown. I have been gone 40 years and I swear the old historic photos I would say OH look just like I remember, that made me historic!

In a way, I think looking at old photo's, are kind of like visiting a persons gravesite. Fewer seem to do it then with my grandparents WWII generation. Those that do family tree's, like them, but so many more seem to view it as living in the past.

I saved most of my grandparents photo's, even though so many are not marked. Some were framed and I have kept them in frames (old baptismal certificates, gold star flag and letter from FDR, local Truman photo, Circus wedding of my Grandfathers cousin). Others, just have things I like (old family farmhouse, old cars, etc). With the new house, I need to go through them, and keep some and pitch more.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

My home town FB page won’t let me on! I’ve applied twice! I have two photos I want to upload. Their loss.

in order to join, you have to tell them why “Altoona Rocks.” I have a VERY hard time thinking of even one reason why it rocks, so perhaps my insincerity shines through my answer...

My aunt was really eccentric. She was beautiful, artistic, outgoing, loving and gregarious. My cousin (her daughter) is 1/5 in these categories. She was clearing out stuff of her mom's (who'd passed away) and was about to chuck a HUMONGOUS portrait of our grandmother (aunt's mother) as a young woman, probably in her teens. It's a really unusual photo; looks like it's taken outside of either a circus or revival tent in Colorado probably during the Dust Bowl, and she's wearing a fedora-like hat. I love it, but my aunt had it way blown up and framed in a heavy, gold frame -- it is probably 3-1/2 feet tall. I couldn't let her throw it in the dumpster, so it's now in my bedroom.

Everyone in the family laughs because I have this monster-sized picture of grandma as a girl, and now I'm not sure what to do with it. It seems disrespectful somehow to just toss it.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Everyone in the family laughs because I have this monster-sized picture of grandma as a girl, and now I'm not sure what to do with it. It seems disrespectful somehow to just toss it.
    Let em laugh. It's your bedroom, your picture of grandma, and anyone who thinks it's funny should mind their own business.

Or you could just laugh right along with them about it's size but say you're going to keep it because you love it.

Thread Information