Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update re retirement

Ok you people! Haha. I was wrong, here are the actual, fixed annual costs to have our Hermann house at a basic level:

Real estate taxes:$1,245

House insurance: $880

Utilities (gas, electric, water, sewer, garbage): $ 2,292
    no telecom. Utilities are higher than I remembered, usually between $150 and $200 per month.

total annual fixed costs: $4,417

yeah ok, twice as much as my original post, but still cheap.

I didn’t include telecom cost because that is not basic and essential. We owned this property for two years without having any Internet or other cable etc.

I don’t include any maintenance because that is impossible to estimate. All of our maintenance so far has been entirely idiosyncratic stuff on the land. We are not doing any repairs in this house because we knew we would be doing a major renovation. We spend thousands of dollars on landscaping and equipment but that is entirely discretionary. It is our playground.

People who needed to keep their costs down would not be doing the weird stuff that we do. I spent $800 last year alone on Turface for instance.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And another update. Turns out those wonderful pro LGBT laws on the books in Colombia are not enforced, and gays are subjected to a great deal of harassment/discrimination there. No thanks. But I would still visit. Looking into Costa Rica now. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And another update. Turns out those wonderful pro LGBT laws on the books in Colombia are not enforced, and gays are subjected to a great deal of harassment/discrimination there. No thanks. But I would still visit. Looking into Costa Rica now. Rob
    Wow, glad you found this out sooner rather than later!

Costa Rica is a stable democracy, has a decent sized expat community, and is a good choice.

By the time you retire the information you have now will be a moot point. These countries change all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    So many expats there, COL has risen dramatically in the last 10 years. May be not be the delight later that is currently perceived. A colleague went there for a week 2y ago. Although they had a lovely time and took guided trips for "local flavor", they won't return.

Where ever you consider when the time comes, definitely do an extended stay. I know 3 retirees who went to their dream location. All stayed less than 3 years. and they encountered significant loss upon return. Housing had gone up immensely here. 2 of 3 went back to work of some sort to fill the gap needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Where ever you consider when the time comes, definitely do an extended stay. I know 3 retirees who went to their dream location. All stayed less than 3 years.
    My county is a "retirement destination". At 57 years old, I'm the median age for the county. A large percentage of our citizens are > 65 and retired. Most of them moved here from someplace else to "retire" here.

Many people move here looking to fix something they think is missing in their life. Typically, their problem isn't something solved by geographic location.

The typical "incomer", if they just move here, lasts < 3 years, before they fold their tent and leave. Most "locals" won't form close relationships with incomers until they've made it through 3 winters, which can't help the situation much. And then we have the retiree subpopulation who just come by for the peak season, then fly off to somewhere else the rest of the year - they don't integrate particularly well, it seems.

The people who successfully transplant seem to have taken more time in their decision, coming here multiple times to visit during different seasons over a period of years.

Anyways, this is all great for the local real estate industry, and for the county's special real estate transfer taxes, because properties churn all the time.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    What are the pros/cons vs MX?
    We are both so blown away by the generosity and decency of Columbia in giving documented status, work permits and access to health care and education for 1.5 million Venezuelan migrants. Such a display of humanity is very attractive for those seeking lower costs elsewhere. But the LGBT thing is a dealbreaker for sure. Rob

Thread Information