Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Selfish

Bae, that’s heartbreaking news. I really hope she can conceive in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My poor niece, I fear, will mentally turn out to be a long-hauler, as she lost the baby she'd been trying so hard to have for years to covid.
    I am so very sorry Bae.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My poor niece, I fear, will mentally turn out to be a long-hauler, as she lost the baby she'd been trying so hard to have for years to covid.
    So sorry.

I'm sorry. Too many tragedies associated with this thing.

Everyone is self-ish..... everyone should and needs to take care of themselves - this is usually considered as self-ish. If you don't take care of your own needs then you cannot effectively help someone else. We need to keep ourselves strong and our needs met in order to help someone else. Some folks take that overboard and cannot tell where what they need and what they want start and end. Someone told me long ago... and I remember this quite often.

The person with 100 coats hanging in a closet - can only wear one at a time.
    The person sitting outside freezing that came into your house and "stole" a coat....... did not actually steal a coat from you...... you stole it from them and hoarded it away so that they could not have it. They were only taking what was rightfully theirs.

Perhaps I didn't write that well enough for you to understand but for me it really made me look at myself and my possessions and my thoughts - and I became a more giving person. I only take what I need - I give what I can - yet I do my best not to go without - or to give all of myself to someone that will only use and not contribute to the well being of another.

Rambling here. LOL..... need to stop....
    Questions About Essential Oils??? PM Me..... I Love My Oils

Quote Originally Posted by varrs View Post
    Everyone is self-ish..... everyone should and needs to take care of themselves - this is usually considered as self-ish. If you don't take care of your own needs then you cannot effectively help someone else. We need to keep ourselves strong and our needs met in order to help someone else. Some folks take that overboard and cannot tell where what they need and what they want start and end. Someone told me long ago... and I remember this quite often.

The person sitting outside freezing that came into your house and "stole" a coat....... did not actually steal a coat from you...... you stole it from them and hoarded it away so that they could not have it. They were only taking what was rightfully theirs.

Perhaps I didn't write that well enough for you to understand but for me it really made me look at myself and my possessions and my thoughts - and I became a more giving person. I only take what I need - I give what I can - yet I do my best not to go without - or to give all of myself to someone that will only use and not contribute to the well being of another.

I understand - nicely said. Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

People have been batting around the “Property is theft” thing since Proudhon. The people on the left criticized it on the basis that there is no such thing as property. The people on the right view property as an important element of personal liberty.

As for me, I recognize an obligation to my fellow man, but I don’t think it can be reduced to a simple utilitarian algorithm in a zero sum system.

I have four bedrooms in my house. I am only using two of them. There are people in my community sitting outside freezing. Are those bedrooms rightfully theirs? Did I steal them from those folks, and hoard the rooms away?

I have a friend who has 50 sweaters sitting in her farmhouse. She only wears one. Is she hoarding those sweaters away from other people, after having stolen the sweaters from all the cold people outside? I mean, she went to a whole lot of effort to steal them - she raised the sheep, processed the wool, spun it into yard, dyed the yarn, and knitted the sweaters. (Yes, I know, "she didn't knit those sweaters...") Her evil hoarding plan is to sell those sweaters, the yarn, and the meat from some of the sheep to other folks, she's such a capitalist oppressor.

Most people on the left are as protective of their property as anyone else. Ldahl, you make assumptions that make my head hurt.

You don't seem rambling here, but rather trying to shame people with more than one coat. Since I have more than one winter coat, I'll take the bait!

I had one brown down jacket I bought at a yard sale for 2 dollars and wore for 3 years. It was great--super warm, and I went outside and dog walked in it, so it had rips in the pockets where dog treats would fall out, and they could jump up with muddy paws and it did not matter.

It got thrown out when the tear situation got too extreme.

I have a down LL Bean coat my dad bought me as a present so I would not be cold when I moved to Michigan. He bought it for me eight years ago. He loved me and now he is gone. So should I give this coat away. even though I don't wear it very much because I want to preserve how nice it is?

I have a black down jacket that I bought at Target a few years ago for 35 dollars and it was suitable for going places and not looking dirty or bummish. I bought it so I could fly on an airplane to see my kids and not be suspected of being a bum, some sort of threat. It made me look presentable, but it's getting worn now.

I have two polyester down coats I bought at Walmart for 19 dollars each so that I have something to walk the dogs in and work in yard in, or go to town in if I wear the lighter one, so it does not look filthy. The zippers don't work right so they are always stuck.

So that is my winter coat situation. I see people buying coats at yard sales for 2 dollars all the time, so I know they can get coats if they can get to yard sales--my husband's coat costs 5 dollars and is down and really nice.

I see other people with limited means at Walmart buying coats where I buy mine.

I'm just baffled that this means I have stolen coats from others. Can you explain further?

Thread Information