Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

We've been getting a good deal of rain and the radishes are proliferating! I'm thinking they will be the first thing harvested this summer and I may even have time to plant more!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My husband has been on medical marijuana for a couple of years now--originally he had a card in New Jersey and then got one in Vermont. These dispensaries are so interesting--the one in NJ looked like Tiffany's with glass cases showing all the different types of plant and edible for a whole host of maladies and "salespeople" there to counsel you on the benefits of each.

In Vermont, you have to make an appointment by phone. Then you drive to the site, which is a nondescript white building near the airport with no windows. You call them when you get there, you bring cash, and then someone comes out and makes the trade. This legal transaction couldn't look more illegal.

Anyway, they offer plants in addition to the actual weed and/or edibles, so the latest addition to our garden is 3 cannabis plants. In addition to the 3 plants, DH traded two plants with our neighbor and in return the neighbor is going to teach DH how to grow them. There's always something to learn about growing things!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My husband has been on medical marijuana for a couple of years now--originally he had a card in New Jersey and then got one in Vermont. These dispensaries are so interesting--the one in NJ looked like Tiffany's with glass cases showing all the different types of plant and edible for a whole host of maladies and "salespeople" there to counsel you on the benefits of each.

In Vermont, you have to make an appointment by phone. Then you drive to the site, which is a nondescript white building near the airport with no windows. You call them when you get there, you bring cash, and then someone comes out and makes the trade. This legal transaction couldn't look more illegal.

Anyway, they offer plants in addition to the actual weed and/or edibles, so the latest addition to our garden is 3 cannabis plants. In addition to the 3 plants, DH traded two plants with our neighbor and in return the neighbor is going to teach DH how to grow them. There's always something to learn about growing things!
    That's interesting, Catherine. My DH has been using medical marijuana since it became legal in MA, and I guess you could say non-medical for a long time before that, lol. I don't think our dispensaries offer plants though.

Be prepared for unhappy neighbours when the plants come into bloom. It is not about cannabis, its legality or its use, just the bloom, they really stink. That may vary with the variety of plants as well.

From 2018 news report which is being repeated elsewhere and creating huge problems:
    https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-grower-shows/

Each of these particular potted plants, however, is a monster — taller than an adult with arms stretched upward and wider than an adult with arms spread out.

“There are three types of growers, the novice, the intermediate and the advanced — this is advanced,” Lucier told the Star on a recent pre-harvest tour....
    The trained and pruned branches are dense with buds laden with trichomes, the resiny crystals that will cover the plant like frost and provide the mind-altering high or the pain relief being sought by the marijuana user.
    Lucier estimates each plant will generate about four pounds of useable bud, most of which will be converted into cannabis oils, all of which, he adds, is for personal use.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm reading these posts on marijuana and thinking - "I really AM old! I remember when it was a little baggie of pot that one hid away until the next party." LOL. Just goes to show that, one way or another, things do change.

Not that I was ever a big fan for recreational use, but I'm so glad that it is such a help to some folks for medical use.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Be prepared for unhappy neighbours when the plants come into bloom. It is not about cannabis, its legality or its use, just the bloom, they really stink.
    Well, then it's a good thing we've found our "tribe"--neighbors on both sides grow and partake. (FWIW, I don't partake--I do not like smoking pot--I'm introspective and introverted to begin with, and so I'm not much fun to be with when I'm high.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I saw a rabbit nibbling my phlox this morning, so it is not just deer that go after it.

We had a huge crop of peas, uncommonly large. They were grown in Hermann. DH brought them home yesterday and we sat in the coolness of our living room, shelling peas and catching up on news. Then he cooked them parboiling I guess, and put them in the freezer.

Severe drought year here in California… I’ve been hose watering my garden, and I guess that’s now forbidden. I have 12 strawberry plants that are finally blooming, and I put in raspberries before I realized water was going to be an issue. We’ve eaten all the lettuce and spinach, I’ve decided not to seed and more. I don’t think my carrots or radishes are going to make it. And the squash requires too much water… frustrating.

I've been on the road for two weeks and had to leave all my newly planted tomatoes and native plants to fend for themselves since we don't have an irrigation system. I also "planted" some empty wine bottles full of water within the raised beds and that helped I think. Luckily, our neighbor came over and hose-watered the tomatoes a few times. Surprisingly with no rain, I only lost three or four native plant babies. It is supposed to be in the mid 90s for a week or more with no rain so it will be hard to keep things going with that heat.

Thread Information