Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we keep busy?

Why we keep busy?

I was thinking about this a lot lately. Everyday, whether you work or not there is always a lot to do; or at least we can make it that way.

I imagine when we lived in small homes and worked in fields, we worked at home to clean, eat and keep body and soul together. But now I get up and think of jobs to do, move a bedroom around, paint a room, make a loaf of bread.

The idea of getting up, eating and reading most of the day and then going for a walk seems ludicrous and amazing, yet that may be healthier.

I feel like I, and most of society, manufacture tasks to keep busy. Then throw in a tv set or internet, and it never ends.

What say you, fellow toilers of the day.

Oh, I have no problem being lazy! I am very good at that!

But I think we are hard wired to working. As we were evolving, if you weren't moving, you were pretty much dead.

Nowadays, it may not be our desire to work but our desire to accomplish something. It just feels good to get something done. Even if it's just refilling the sugar bowl...yep...that was moi that refilled the sugar bowl.....

I think the sense of accomplishment is a big part of it for me. Plus, I am easily bored. Too easily bored to watch TV, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    The idea of getting up, eating and reading most of the day and then going for a walk seems ludicrous and amazing, yet that may be healthier.
    Um, I spend days like this with *no* problem!!! (with maybe a bit of time wasted on the web too ). Not workdays of course, but weekends/holidays.

To me it sounds not ludicrous and amazing but rather like a description of a *pleasant* way to spend time. Not being able to spend time like that sounds ludicrous and amazing to me!

I think:
    - People naturally have *some* desire to contribute and create
    - A lot of personality characteristics probably play into one's level of ambition (and sure there are neurotic reasons to be a workaholic and neurotic reasons to be a slacker, like I said a lot of the personality can come into play)
    - But the degree to which we feel the need to be *constantly* *chronically* busy to the point that leisure makes us uneasy, is influenced to no small degree by social programming. The devil will find work for idle hands is still a strong undercurrent in the whole society (though this undercurrent is, of course, seldom openly acknowledged). If only we're chronically busy maybe even the grim reaper won't catch us.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 1-6-11 at 2:46am.

Speaking only for myself, I am busy a lot of the time to avoid my own dark internal thoughts. The productivity of clearing out stuff, or acquiring stuff to make my life easier feels good, and keeps those demons of not being good enough at bay, albeit temporarily.

I like the Nearings idea of time spent in making their living (bread labor), time spent making themselves better (education, etc.), and time spent making the community around them better (lecturing, etc.). Their idea was that the total time spent on each ought to be the same across a year. So, if they spent 800 hours making a living in the cash economy, then they ought to spend 800 hours that same year making themselves better and another 800 hours building up their community through volunteer activities. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I like the Nearings idea of time spent in making their living (bread labor), time spent making themselves better (education, etc.), and time spent making the community around them better (lecturing, etc.). Their idea was that the total time spent on each ought to be the same across a year. So, if they spent 800 hours making a living in the cash economy, then they ought to spend 800 hours that same year making themselves better and another 800 hours building up their community through volunteer activities. I can't wait.
    Wow, I didn't know this, but I really like it. I wonder how that might work in my life. Food for thought for today and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    I think the sense of accomplishment is a big part of it for me. Plus, I am easily bored. Too easily bored to watch TV, actually.
    I'm exactly the same way! But I never feel bored, because things to do just come easily to me. I do sometimes just sit down to read, though. Well, more than sometimes. Probably for at least an hour/day.

NancyAnne
    I like to be productive at a relaxed pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I like the Nearings idea of time spent in making their living (bread labor), time spent making themselves better (education, etc.), and time spent making the community around them better (lecturing, etc.).
    Well I already do all 3 although not in equal time. And yes there may be careers that have all 3 just in themselves but I'm not there now. I do wonder if time just playing can count as time making yourself better. Because I think it deserves some time. Such as time doing Karaoke, if it's your thing, even if your not Aretha Franklin, etc.

Thread Information