Thread: Emotion recognition technology game to play - is it ethical?

Emotion recognition technology game to play - is it ethical?

I had fun trying to express my emotions to challenge the emotion detection technology in this https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...CMP=GTUK_email article.

Some quotes and a link to try the game:
    "It is a technology that has been frowned upon by ethicists: now researchers are hoping to unmask the reality of emotion recognition systems in an effort to boost public debate.

Technology designed to identify human emotions using machine learning algorithms is a huge industry, with claims it could prove valuable in myriad situations, from road safety to market research. But critics say the technology not only raises privacy concerns, but is inaccurate and racially biased.

A team of researchers have created a website – emojify.info – where the public can try out emotion recognition systems through their own computer cameras. One game focuses on pulling faces to trick the technology, while another explores how such systems can struggle to read facial expressions in context.

Their hope, the researchers say, is to raise awareness of the technology and promote conversations about its use.

“It is a form of facial recognition, but it goes farther because rather than just identifying people, it claims to read our emotions, our inner feelings from our faces,” said Dr Alexa Hagerty, project lead and researcher at the University of Cambridge Leverhulme Centre for the Future of Intelligence and the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk.

Facial recognition technology, often used to identify people, has come under intense scrutiny in recent years. Last year the Equality and Human Rights Commission said its use for mass screening should be halted, saying it could increase police discrimination and harm freedom of expression.

But Hagerty said many people were not aware how common emotion recognition systems were, noting they were employed in situations ranging from job hiring, to customer insight work, airport security, and even education to see if students are engaged or doing their homework."
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good God! Be afraid, be very afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Good God! Be afraid, be very afraid.
    We are old. We won’t have to deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We are old. We won’t have to deal with this.
    I was thinking that very thing. It's one thing having the lack of privacy on line, and in our transactions, but now we have thought monitoring to look forward to?

Given its market research application, I find it fascinating. I'd love to use it on my next concept test project.

I took the two tests. I aced the wink/blink test and I was able to fool the computer for all emotions except for "fear." I know from my acting classes that fear is the hardest emotion to fake--you have to hand it to people who are believable in horror films from start to finish.

I think the ethics of it depend on its use. If I were to use it in market research I would make sure it's a closed system and that respondents knew what they were getting into and signed off on it. I to emotional response modeling in interviews--this is just a more high tech version.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information