Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: April Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So the junk master took the last of his stuff yesterday. My purging rein has come to a end. I have nothing that I don’t want. I am so tired that I had a 4 hour nap today. Glad the sale went well Becky.
    Thank you TT! Congratulations on completing such a herculean task!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I returned 7 online purchases. I always count these as part of my purging because I have a history of not returning stuff which then ends up as clutter.

Got rid of some clothes I haven't worn for a few years, or if I did squeezed myself into them and was uncomfortable all day. It took me a while to admit to myself I will, barring getting cancer or something, likely not be a size 8 or small again, I am a size 10, and to accept that. This type of emotional side to decluttering is what I find hard.

The average American woman is a size 16 to 18, yet most models and mannequins display something else.

https://www.byrdie.com/average-body-weight

I got rid of 3 items through my local Buy Nothing group. Total for month: 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Got rid of some clothes I haven't worn for a few years, or if I did squeezed myself into them and was uncomfortable all day. It took me a while to admit to myself I will, barring getting cancer or something, likely not be a size 8 or small again, I am a size 10, and to accept that. This type of emotional side to decluttering is what I find hard.

The average American woman is a size 16 to 18, yet most models and mannequins display something else.

https://www.byrdie.com/average-body-weight
    Yes, Yppej, the key is acceptance! I used to have an eating disorder and weighed quite a bit (I'm sure I was a size 16 or larger) when I started to recover. It was such a huge positive milestone when I said to myself, "You may be this size for the rest of your life, so buy clothes you love that fit you at this size." It's a great way to affirm you love yourself at any size!

Gave two big plastic pots to a neighbor looking for some. New total for month: 12.

DS and I cleared some junk out of the basement in preparation for delivery of a new dryer today.

Got rid of some of my husband's horrible containers that he saves--old yogurt cartons etc. for screws. This after I discover he had an entire bankers box full of metal cans that he had taken the labels off.

The flotsam jetsam containers give me the creeps, it's just like an episode of Hoarders.

Also got rid of a present my brother gave me, because it upsets me every time I see it, and he has been really mean to me lately, dismissive and judgmental about my reactions to our mom in the nursing home, and I just don't need something around that makes me unhappy. I talked to him yesterday and he said something to me and I realized after the conversation, and I actually told him during, that I'm not mad about what he says, I'm hurt.

I am realizing there's a difference, and that I don't have to progress to anger, I can just stop communicating with him as much as possible, and protect myself from further hurt.

It was a nice gift, but I have such negative feelings about him now, and need to release it so I don't have it there making me feel bad.

Congratulations, Tybee, on stepping away to protect yourself. It is so hard to do, but realizing what YOU need and being able to recognize hurt and releasing the things/people that hurt you is a huge step. Sending you hugs.

Tybee, I think it’s more common than you think people hoarding stuff that’s actually garbage. If my second husband kept a container he actually used it. My recent ex not so much. When parents need care it’s often a source of sibling conflict. Luckily my mom always had her mind and knew what she wanted. We all respected her choice to live alone and sacrifice safety. She’s been gone 12 years and with all of us older I think all 3 of us would make the same choice for ourselves. It’s really difficult with dementia because decisions have to be made for the person. Hugs).

Thread Information