Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: RIP Duke of Edinburgh

  1. #11
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    11,070
    The fact that he wrote her doesn’t mean anything. When I was 13 I was part of adopt a soldier program so wrote a soldier in Vietnam regularly and sent him a goodie box monthly.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    5,101
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Agreed, weird spin. People wrote a lot of letters in those days, so I imagine Elizabeth was writing to many people. Plus, they were lightly related and he was European royalty, reasons for her to keep in touch. She was the future Monarch, reason for him to keep in touch.

    Tradd, he was Greek Orthodox to the end, right? According to the wiki article he was excepted into the Anglican church, but he said he was Greek orthodox.
    I think he remained Orthodox at heart, but he was baptized into the Church of England right before he married Elizabeth.

  3. #13
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The fact that he wrote her doesn’t mean anything. When I was 13 I was part of adopt a soldier program so wrote a soldier in Vietnam regularly and sent him a goodie box monthly.
    My paternal grandparents were married at 19 and 14. Family lore says that during the first year or two of their marriage, Grandpa would come home from the fields for lunch and find nothing to eat. Grandma was spending her days climbing trees with boys.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #14
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Incest doesn't help your argument.
    They were 3rd cousins, and second cousins once-removed. This is not typically regarded as "incest"...

    The family org chart is pretty complicated across the noble families of Europe. For...reasons.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    5,241
    It must be very disorienting to lose one's spouse of so many years.

    She has been the monarch for such an incredibly long time, and you are right, Catherine, they seemed to define an age, and it feels so odd that it is passing.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    They were 3rd cousins, and second cousins once-removed. This is not typically regarded as "incest"...

    The family org chart is pretty complicated across the noble families of Europe. For...reasons.
    From absolute rulers to overbred show dogs over the course of a few centuries.

    I do like some of the things Philip said over the years. When some reporter in Australia asked him if he had a criminal record, he asked if that was still a requirement for entry. I think he was somewhere in the West Indies when he said he felt a kinship with the people there because they were both descended from pirates.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 4-12-21 at 2:07pm.

  7. #17
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,859
    The best of British pageantry is being displayed right now at the funeral of Prince Philip.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  8. #18
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,686
    I intend no disrespect with this remark and I'm sorry that Elizabeth has lost her husband of many years, but consistent with my great interest in the royal family, I had never even heard of this man before his passing.

  9. #19
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    18,712
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I intend no disrespect with this remark and I'm sorry that Elizabeth has lost her husband of many years, but consistent with my great interest in the royal family, I had never even heard of this man before his passing.
    Dude, who did you think the Queen was married to?

    ok, I suppose you didn’t think about that.


    To be so disinterested in the royal family of Great Britain is a little bit of a gene I would like to have.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-18-21 at 11:50am.

  10. #20
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    18,712
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    They were 3rd cousins, and second cousins once-removed. This is not typically regarded as "incest"...

    The family org chart is pretty complicated across the noble families of Europe. For...reasons.
    I just watched a video presentation of the Royal House of Stuart’s rightful heir to the throne of Scotland, should Scotland become independent. That heir is...The Queen of Lichtenstein! I had no idea.

    An important heir from the wrong side of the blanket is...Prince William! His mother, Diana Spencer, had a Fitzroy ancestor. The Fitzroys were illegitimate decendants of the Stuarts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •