Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draperies

Draperies

Admittedly, I have not bought drapery for a long time. But my boss' office needs new drapes and carpeting really badly. I think what he has is from the 70s or 80s (orange no less).

Well, one person we spoke to estimated the drapes costing about $3,500! The windows are floor to ceiling and are about 15 feet long. Does that sound reasonable?

Shoot, as much as he's in his office, I think we could go find ready-made ones with pockets and just put up a rod. But what we have there now are pleated and have the retractable pulley system falter-all.

Anyone know anything about drapes?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Would vertical blinds be better? I find drapes dust collectors. The price might be the same though. Keep us posted on what you learn about pricing of drapes.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Admittedly, I have not bought drapery for a long time. But my boss' office needs new drapes and carpeting really badly. I think what he has is from the 70s or 80s (orange no less).

Well, one person we spoke to estimated the drapes costing about $3,500! The windows are floor to ceiling and are about 15 feet long. Does that sound reasonable?

Shoot, as much as he's in his office, I think we could go find ready-made ones with pockets and just put up a rod. But what we have there now are pleated and have the retractable pulley system falter-all.

Anyone know anything about drapes?
    That is reasonable for professionally made drapes with the coverage you describe. In fact for 15’ of them it seems cheap.

Sure you can always DIY it to varying degrees. Do you need thermal coverage? Meaning, is sun blocking important? That means more expense.

I have south facing windows in my condo which is nice for sunlight, but I imagine I’m going to have to get heavy thermal draperies for both walls because there is no central air conditioning and it’s going to be very hot. But I want to live through one season without them to see what’s what.

I don’t have draperies in my current house because of animal hair. I do have silk saris casually draped over curtain rods, but those are entirely for decoration they’re not closing off anything from the outside. This tightly woven silk doesn’t seem to attract animal hair.

If there is any window covering I absolutely despise, it's the one you describe.

He can take his time considering options and costs to purchase and for installation. Maybe wait for sales.

I love the sari idea, IL.. I think you're posted pics before and I thought they were beautiful!

I agree that for large windows in a commercial space that price is reasonable.

I hate the cost of residential window treatments, too. I've held off on what I really want--bamboo blinds throughout--because the $5 Home Depot mini-blinds are "perfectly good" For more ambience I have white LED lights lining the ceiling and I keep the blinds open all day with the excuse that curtains would compromise the lake view.

I'm in the process of sewing stuff for the house: I have several curtain panels that I bought on sale when Country Curtains was going out of business. So I'm decorating my house around green buffalo check because that's what I've got.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Green Buffalo check sounds very cute!

I keep picturing a light green buffalo check something in my living room in Herman. Maybe two chairs in front of the fireplace? Or something like that.

All I can say is I miss elegant draperies. Pinch Pleated, strong and lovely. I absolutly despise the overstock, wayfair, amazon, Walmart and such that have dominated the windows for years now. Along with the cheap rods. I have bought them all, so I am at fault for supporting it. I am a house hunter for hobby at night on Movoto and such, I joke and say Oh those curtains are off Overstock! I actually wonder if many under say 40 remember or appreciate high end draperies hung by professionals. Our little town does not have a drapery store. I had wood blinds hung in all windows of this home we are in, no drapes only kitchen window valances for a pop.
    Ok off my gripe box

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    All I can say is I miss elegant draperies. Pinch Pleated, strong and lovely. I absolutly despise the overstock, wayfair, amazon, Walmart and such that have dominated the windows for years now. Along with the cheap rods. I have bought them all, so I am at fault for supporting it. I am a house hunter for hobby at night on Movoto and such, I joke and say Oh those curtains are off Overstock! I actually wonder if many under say 40 remember or appreciate high end draperies hung by professionals. Our little town does not have a drapery store. I had wood blinds hung in all windows of this home we are in, no drapes only kitchen window valances for a pop.
    Ok off my gripe box
    I can see that if you have lived with custom drapes, other cheap stuff would be awful.

I have never had them, tho.Danderm dust and animal hair are some reasons.

I was all set to spend a ridiculous sum of money on custom silk drapes for my condo’s windows, at least living room windows. I mean, I ordered fabric samples even,

But then my decor guru Laurel Bern said in one of her blog posts “ no silk for south windows—Ever!!!” Because the sun will destroy silk quickly. Sigh. So I had to abandon that idea and like many high end things I plan but cannot get, I then stopped looking for drapery at all.

these disappointments invariably save me a lot of money.

I would remove carpet and install luxury vinyl plank. I would put vertical blinds like Razz described, or vertical cellulars, like this:

Also Biking lady, like you I wonder what has happened to the upholstery and drapery industry. Yes, people under age 40 are not likely to know fine quality work like this.

My mother in her early stages of dementia got the JC Penney custom window treatment people out to her condo and boy did they go to town, selling her coverings for every window. She could afford it and it was ok, but really, who needs pull drapery for the little kitchen window over a sink? That was a bit much.

I remember staying in a Portland Bed and Breakfast Inn and the man of the house had an upholstery shop. My room was chock full of professional upholstery pieces on the bed, the windows, the furniture. It was like a Laura Ashley explosion! It was Nice.

Thread Information