Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuff that happened

Stuff that happened

Here is the short version:
    • We had to put Silvio the cat to sleep in early March, which was very painful for us.
    • A week later, our niece was killed in a terrible motor vehicle accident. She was 39 years old, and left behind a husband who was crazy about her and 4 little kids.
    • Two weeks after that, my MIL died. She had been in a nursing home for 2 years and was 88 years old, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but certainly a loss to us nevertheless.

So March really sucked. Some brighter things in April:
    • DH got a brand-new, not-at-all-frugal 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. It replaces his 2007 Saturn Sky, which we had also bought new in 2006. That was the least practical car on the planet, but he loved it and he did keep it for 14 years. The Bronco will be a more practical vehicle and we will no doubt keep it for a long time and at least we're not financing it. I know this can hardly be considered a smart money move, but oh well.
    • DH is also quitting his part-time job at the hospital. He's not enjoying it any longer, and I think we're both really feeling that "life is short" mindset for obvious reasons right now. I told him to go ahead and quit and we can make it work. So hopefully I'll be more active on the Frugals thread going forward. I picked up some library books the other day, and DH said it was great that I could get so much of what I want to read from the library. I told him I would be offsetting the cost of his new vehicle one library book at a time.

Life does have its stuff - ups and some really tragic unexpected downs especially the loss of your niece so sending condolences on all of your March losses.
    It does make one take a fresh look at our own lives so your DH stepping back from his part-time job is understandable.

I have found that my spending has gone down a lot due to the restrictions due to covid. I actually forgot my password for my CC as I have simply tapped for any purchases. Today's service maintenance trip to the Toyota was higher than the usual tapping limit amount of $200. I finally recalled it but the cashier had already worked around it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So sorry Rosa for all your losses.

Rosa, I am so very sorry. Your niece dying young and having 4 kids is especially heartbreaking.

My condolences for your losses. There is that old saying that "bad things happen in threes". And then "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Wishing you peace, resilience, and more brighter things ahead.

Adding my condolences ... wishing you peace and courage in this difficult time.

Rosa, I am so very sorry for your losses.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Rosa that is a lot of bad stuff.

continue to check out those library books and refer good titles to us!

Sorry for your losses and glad to hear life is on the upswing.

Thread Information