Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Languishing

I definitely am languishing. Many people and groups I belonged to are no longer. I have planned a few short getaways and, hopefully, the weather will get nicer so more activities can be outdoors. I am planning trips for the future. I have started back at the gym so that is helping.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the publication as it appears to create a judgement. Obviously, some don't have the luxury of languishing but in talking to my working friends and relatives the uneasy mood is apparent in all.

Definitely not because my normal life has resumed. I see my friends and family, go out to eat, shops, etc. In February I joined a meetup group for singles that like to eat out. It’s a big active group with many around my age. The only thing I haven’t done is travel.

well I don't feel right with doing much until every one who wants a vaccine has one (make that two as J&J is off the market), so until then (which may just be a month or two)
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I can't even plan for raking my leaves. For the second week in a row the city contractor has failed to take the yard waste when scheduled and my barrels are all full. I feel like the pandemic has become an excuse for every lazy person to not do their job, leaving me languishing. Some businesses can't find people to hire because folks would rather sit at home and collect unemployment. That's definitely languishing.
    I stopped in to the Burger King last week to use the bathroom on my way to Hermann. The store part was closed and only drive-in service was open. Itís because they didnít have enough people come to work to run the operation. The note on the door said be nice to the people who are in the drive-through because they were the ones who came to work.

All of the fast food places are having hiring fairs and I recruiting workers.

Our unemployment check still going out, if so that must be better than working fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm languishing. Some of it is due to retirement. I have a high need to be productive and do meaningful work (not that all of my work was meaningful before retirement...). I do a lot around my house and yard, but its just not the same when I'm only doing things for myself. Too early to get re-involved in those activities I first got into when retiring 2 years ago. Haven't seen most friends for over a year- as we typically meet in restaurants and for me, that's still a little iffy. I feel like I'm hanging on, but can't really plan much into the future.
    I guess we must see people outside a whole lot more than the group here in the simple living forums. We do have a walkable neighborhood so there’s that. Granted, I don’t walk a whole lot but I do see people, an explosion of people, in recent days because of gardening season. I’ve talked to at least a dozen people over the past 48 hours. All outdoors.

Our bulldog friend who has had Covid twice now is coming to deliver dog food and I imagine we will sit around and shoot the shit in our living room, unmasked.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You obviously are an introvert with few hobbies or interactions with others.
    While not entirely discounting the possibility that I may be a misanthropic dullard, I will admit that I have little patience for people wanting to dignify every little discontent as a syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    While not entirely discounting the possibility that I may be a misanthropic dullard, I will admit that I have little patience for people wanting to dignify every little discontent as a syndrome.
    While not entirely owning that I am victim of some "syndrome," I will admit that I do find myself---like others have mentioned---having done some curious, healthy introspection. How very curious that there are those who claim nothing has affected them at all except for others' observations.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    While not entirely owning that I am victim of some "syndrome," I will admit that I do find myself---like others have mentioned---having done some curious, healthy introspection. How very curious that there are those who claim nothing has affected them at all except for others' observations.
    At this point, what is holding you all back from getting out and about? I mean now, in my area of the country, the great outdoors provides scads of meeting opportunities for friends and relatives.

I won’t be meeting in large groups (and perhaps not outside of my pod at all) in indoor restaurants, but outside patio dining is easy.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-19-21 at 11:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    At this point, what is holding you all back from getting out and about? I mean now, in my area of the country, the great outdoors provides cads of meeting opportunities for friends and relatives.

I,won’t be meeting in large groups (and perhaps,not,outside of my pod at all) indoors in restaurants, but outside patio dining is easy.
    Having to wear a mask, which constricts my breathing and either hurts my ears or if the neck gaiter type keeps falling down, and which muffles my speech so it is hard for people to understand me, and me to understand them since they are also masked. (Today I had my first pedicure since the pandemic began and the masks on top of the language barrier made communication nearly impossible.)

I was excited to see New Hampshire drop its mask mandate, but many of the places I was eager to go to there have local mandates in place.

Thread Information