Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Evolution of the Doubling of Life Expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    On the population issue, the trends are based on dicennial data, recently released from the Census Bureau. I believe they report 7% increase in population.

As far as the bar for killing off old people, when I have asked doctors in market research what they consider "elderly" the answer is always "65 because that's when everything seems to start falling apart." So you 40-65 year olds would probably be safe if that ever became a strategy for controlling the population. I'd be out of here, despite the fact that I feel like a wiser 30-year old most days.

I'm just kidding about outsourcing childbirth. I agree with Jane that the same old same old becomes stagnant, in fact it's a law of Newtonian physics that an object at rest will stay at rest. Change is not only inevitable, it is necessary. So if we have to "import" fresh blood, so be it.
    What kind of stagnation are you talking about? Cultural? Technological? Economic? The gene pool?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What kind of stagnation are you talking about? Cultural? Technological? Economic? The gene pool?
    The stagnation of people like my BIL who, incidentally, is a white male, thinks it's beneath him to work in a convenience store. The stagnation of people who refuse to put in the time and the effort to achieve dreams because they can ride on back of the dominant culture. The stagnation of people who take things for granted. The stagnation of people who think that they will get by simply because they are "American."

I was listening to the Broadway soundtrack of Hamilton this morning--a great album to clean to! And the lyrics of "I'm Not Giving Away My Shot" speaks to the drive and the cultural diversity that immigrants can bring:

I am not throwing away my shot!
    I am not throwing away my shot!
    Hey yo, I'm just like my country
    I'm young, scrappy and hungry
    And I'm not throwing away my shot!
    I'm 'a get a scholarship to King's College
    I probably shouldn't brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish
    The problem is I got a lot of brains but no polish
    I gotta holler just to be heard
    With every word, I drop knowledge!
    I'm a diamond in the rough, a shiny piece of coal
    Tryin' to reach my goal. My power of speech: unimpeachable
    Only nineteen but my mind is older
    These New York City streets get colder, I shoulder
    Every burden, every disadvantage
    I have learned to manage, I don't have a gun to brandish
    I walk these streets famished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic7NqP_YGlg

The novelty, the intelligence, the drive, the vision is lost on many of the people in the dominant culture who are happy to ride the coattails of their ancestors. That's kind of stagnation I'm talking about.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've mentioned before my personal observation is that there has been a drastic drop in childbearing during my lifetime--and I can't see that changing. Most of us don't need a family of farmhands, or insurance against offspring dying in droves from communicable diseases, or proof of virility, or whatever reasons for fecundity existed in the past.
    I think it was absence of reliable birth control, after delivering 5 boys my mother stopped reproducing shortly after discovering 'the pill'.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it was absence of reliable birth control, after delivering 5 boys my mother stopped reproducing shortly after discovering 'the pill'.
    Haha! That, too! What a wondrous invention that was!
    Thank you, science.

"The novelty, the intelligence, the drive, the vision is lost on many of the people in the dominant culture who are happy to ride the coattails of their ancestors. That's kind of stagnation I'm talking about."

Tell it! And excuse me for being petty, but can I mention the FOOD? What I grew up on was sooo boring, but thanks to immigrants, the PNW finally has an almost unending variety of wonderful international food available.

Seriously, I should remark on all the immigrants who have distinguished themselves in science, medicine, entrepreneurship, the arts...IMO, we'd be a bland pudding indeed without them.

So does our longstanding influx of people from other lands make us a more dynamic and creative society than, say, Finland or India or Argentina?

The stagnation of people like my BIL who, incidentally, is a white male, thinks it's beneath him to work in a convenience store.
    can we be honest about what kind of life working in a convenience store gets you, because it won't necessarily pay the bills. And that, how well the money pays bills, is a lot more of a reason one might prefer not to work in a convenience store that status ("beneath them"). But be prepared to live like an immigrant? 20 to a house? People do what they have to do and it would be absurd to think any less of them for it, but a lot of stuff is not the usual definition of a living wage. https://livingwage.mit.edu/
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    can we be honest about what kind of life working in a convenience store gets you, because it won't necessarily pay the bills. But be prepared to live like an immigrant? 20 to a house? People do what they have to do, but a lot of stuff is not the usual definition of a living wage.
    Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. When I had 4 kids I went from my day job as a word processing supervisor to my second job in rush hour traffic to being a clerk in Lord & Taylor at the mall at night. Yes, I had to pay the bills. And BIL would accept any "charity" from us, but without thought of what he could do to advance his own situation. He would rather collect a couple of hundred bucks a week on unemployment. That kind of arrogance is exactly my point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So bring in immigrants to crush labor if it gets too uppity.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So does our longstanding influx of people from other lands make us a more dynamic and creative society than, say, Finland or India or Argentina?
    My understanding of those places is too limited to respond adequately. My working hypothesis is that any influx that isn't a hostile invasion is probably good for the host country--at least in the long run. Our settlement of this country was along the lines of a hostile invasion, unfortunately.

At any rate, populations come and go, and countries evolve like every other institution--except, possibly, the Catholic Church , so kvetching over the percentage of melanin in any given cohort, as the white nationalists are wont to do, is tedious and pointless, IMO.

Thread Information