Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Evolution of the Doubling of Life Expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had understood that Catholic MD's today can still refuse contraceptives? Is this not true that pharmacists today can still refuse to fill a prescription for contraceptives?
    I honestly don't know, but I suspect that in a free country everyone is allowed to live their beliefs, as long as they're not bakers or photographers. I don't think I've heard of any instances of that happening since the last millennium.

Is this not why Planned Parenthood is so important because it allows patients of all belief systems to have different beliefs than the Catholic MD and pharmacist?
    I've never heard that as a justification for public funding but it may have been true once.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I suspect all these things originally are about and frankly is maybe still about wanting to spread a belief system (in this case Catholicism), by literally increasing population of believers. I mean certain gnositic sects were against having kids, but they aren't much around now, are they?

So it literally was all about spreading a belief system by having kids. Of course being against birth control doesn't work in the modern world where most people don't even marry until they are in their late 20s or early 30s and sometimes later, where support for single parenthood doesn't exist in this society (or particularly in the catholic church either, maybe try a nordic country?), and where most people don't want 6 kids anyway if they ever did (it is dubious women EVER did, women have always found natural abortificants etc.). So it ultimately just becomes a misogynist position where "boys will be boys", and meanwhile women will be denied birth control. There is respect for life in any number of religions and belief systems, but the Catholic church is with centuries worth of accumulated misogynist baggage.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    So it ultimately just becomes a misogynist position where "boys will be boys", and meanwhile women will be denied birth control.
    Are there currently any women in this country being denied birth control? I can see where some may have difficulty receiving free birth control due to one reason or another but I doubt it's because of the Catholic church or we mean old misogynist males.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

But it is very much because of the catholic church and it's mean old misogynist males, it's exactly them and that (Burwell v. Hobby Lobby). What is that but a bunch of misogynist (frankly hateful, perhaps they hate all humankind - or else how to even explain why they hate women so much?) catholic males.

But women shouldn't want IUDs etc. they should just take the pill, which many women can not tolerate, and which is in all likelihood worse for women's health than either hormonal or copper IUDs (not that woman matter, who cares about their long term health lol). Of course women should be able to get birth control pills or IUDs or whatever they want.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

But it is very much because of the catholic church and it's mean old misogynist males, it's exactly them and that (Burwell v. Hobby Lobby). What is that but a bunch of misogynist (frankly hateful, they hate all humankind truthfully) catholic males.
    I think that case basically affirmed the right to religious freedom on a scale slightly larger than individual, which seems to have pissed off lots folks who don't appreciate that sort of thing, but that's just my take on it.

It's still hatred of women, even if they call it their religion.

It's still hatred of women, even if they call it their religion.
    Do you think maybe that's why Hobby Lobby closes on Sunday? Because their customer base is predominantly women and they don't approve of women shopping on the Sabbath?

I suspect all these things originally are about and frankly is maybe still about wanting to spread a belief system (in this case Catholicism), by literally increasing population of believers. I mean certain gnositic sects were against having kids, but they aren't much around now, are they?

So it literally was all about spreading a belief system by having kids. Of course being against birth control doesn't work in the modern world where most people don't even marry until they are in their late 20s or early 30s and sometimes later, where support for single parenthood doesn't exist in this society (or particularly in the catholic church either, maybe try a nordic country?), and where most people don't want 6 kids anyway if they ever did (it is dubious women EVER did, women have always found natural abortificants etc.). So it ultimately just becomes a misogynist position where "boys will be boys", and meanwhile women will be denied birth control. There is respect for life in any number of religions and belief systems, but the Catholic church is with centuries worth of accumulated misogynist baggage.
    I agree fully and my contempt for the Catholic church is absolute. I think women who identify as Catholic must have some degree of self-loathing, whether recognized or not.

I suspect all these things originally are about and frankly is maybe still about wanting to spread a belief system (in this case Catholicism), by literally increasing population of believers.
    This reminded me of something I read recently and I've now finally found it.

The Presbyterian church called a meeting to decide what to do about their squirrel infestation. After much prayer and consideration, they concluded that the squirrels were predestined to be there, and they should not interfere with God’s divine will.

At the Baptist church, the squirrels had taken an interest in the baptistry. The deacons met and decided to put a water-slide on the baptistry and let the squirrels drown themselves. The squirrels liked the slide and, unfortunately, knew instinctively how to swim, so twice as many squirrels showed up the following week.

The Lutheran church decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God’s creatures. So, they humanely trapped their squirrels and set them free near the Baptist church. Two weeks later, the squirrels were back when the Baptists took down the water-slide.

The Episcopalians tried a much more unique path by setting out pans of whiskey around their church in an effort to kill the squirrels with alcohol poisoning. They sadly learned how much damage a band of drunk squirrels can do.

But the Catholic church came up with a more creative strategy! They baptized all the squirrels and made them members of the church. Now they only see them at Christmas and Easter.

Cute, Alan.

The reason I asked about the professional's right to refuse service is based on a fairly recent case in BC. A pharmacist had refused to fill a woman's prescription from a gynecologist and he initially refused to return the prescription. She took it to another pharmacy where it was filled without comment.

The first pharmacist was called up in a complaint to his regulatory body. It was finally decreed by the regulatory body and the health ministry that a professional may refuse to provide such a service due to a personal belief system but is obligated to find another professional who would in a timely period.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information