Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreft

Dreft

I know that it is recommended to wash baby clothes in some kind of gentle detergent. I realize some people don't do this, but DH and I both have extremely sensitive skin, so I am guessing our baby will, too.

Dreft seems to be the most popular baby detergent. Have any of you used this? Is it worth the cost, or do generic brands work just as well? Is there a more frugal alternative to this I am missing?

Mrs-M
    Great topic! I've always wondered about Dreft. Never used it when my kids were babies, to wash their diapers and things in, but according to everything I've read about it, Dreft is good and many moms swear by it.

I just relied on more mild detergents such as Sunlight and Purex Baby Soft. Never had a problem, but then again no one in our family suffers with sensitive skin. When I laundered diapers I never used much detergent, and I regularly added vinegar to the final rinse cycle to flush any residual soap residue/buildup out of the diapers and to restore pH balance. Never any problems with diaper rash from improperly laundered diapers in our home, and everything always came out clean and fresh.

Mrs-M
    To add, I think Purex baby Soft is the equivalent of Dreft. In fact I'm positive.

Thanks, Mrs. M. I haven't heard of Purex Baby Soft, but I was wondering if the "free" (i.e. All Free and Clear, etc.) were the same thing as Dreft. I'll have to look for the Purex the next time I am at the store. I am getting read to wash all the clothes I have for the baby and put them away. :-)

I used All Free & Clear when DD was an infant, including on cloth diapers. She never had any problems with it. Now that the naturally-derived detergents are more readily available, that's what I use (Seventh Generation, Ecos, or store brand when available). I think the most important things are fragrance-free and using a very small amount of detergent (1-2 Tbsp/load, not a whole capful).

I had a book about which products were toxic once and Dreft didn't score too well on the non-toxic scale. Ivory Snow scored much better (of course you can't get it anywhere anymore, and that's a bummer because I loved loved Ivory Snow). Of course product formulas do change. Yea you are probably better off with the natural detergents (Seventh Generation and so on, what I am currently using) and you can conserve product as mentioned. These are still a bit pricey though so well ... you are also better off making your own of course.
    Trees don't grow on money

I use whatever "free and clear" is on sale. DD was fine with it as a baby.

Kat
    I don't know if you shop at Costco, but I have been buying a detergent called "Springtime"
    it is Biodegradable, scent free, phosphate free etc. the plus is around $17.00 for 8 litres and sometimes $13.00 on sale.
    It is liquid and it is doing a really good job with only a couple of tablespoons a load, so lasting a very long time.
    Dd and grandson have skin issues/scent issues and have had no problem.
    We were nervous to buy such a large container at first but it is our new favourite brand and can be used in the new machines too.

I used original Tide for my babies with sensitive skin! They reacted to Dreft, Ivory, and most fragrance free laundry detergents, but could deal with Tide. Sometimes there seems no rhyme or reason their skin reactions.
    Mrs. Hermit

Wildflower
    I used Dreft more than 30 years ago with my babies. I thought it was great stuff! I used it to soak the cloth diapers in the diaper pail and then washed them with it too. With Dreft, a hot water wash, and 2 rinses - the second rinse I would put some vinegar in, and the diapers always came out soft, clean, and stain free. Did a great job on baby clothes as well. Also my babies had very sensitive skin and Dreft was the only detergent I could use that didn't break them out in some kind of rash. Of course, that was many years ago and the formula may have changed since then. Dreft might not be the great product now that it was way back then....YMMV

Thread Information