Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: And now for something different

I hate my electric baseboard heating. Our electric bill was $500 a month for 4 months. And this house is less than 700 sq. ft, AND we use our wood stove every day in the winter. It's ridiculous. I would love to do a mini-split eventually.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, Coal would have been burned in St. louis houses. The pollution back then was awful.
    I assume the pollution in Denver was equally bad back then. Our house also had a brick trash incinerator in the back yard that was maybe 6x6x6. I can’t imagine how awful that was if everyone was burning their trash that way. But the pollution number didnt start being a part of the weather forecast until the late 70’s/early 80’s when everyone could see the ‘brown cloud’ blocking the view of the mountains most days all winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I hate my electric baseboard heating. Our electric bill was $500 a month for 4 months. And this house is less than 700 sq. ft, AND we use our wood stove every day in the winter. It's ridiculous. I would love to do a mini-split eventually.

Is the mini split also electric? I am curious about these for our house, too. It would be nice to get air conditioning, as the older we get, the more difficulty we have breathing in the summer.

Is the mini split also electric?
    It is, but the operational costs are much lower than electric baseboard heat. or window A/C. We have one on our insulated porch. Its powerful enough to keep the entire downstairs of our house comfortable if I keep the door open. We live in an area with high electric costs, this adds maybe 15-20 dollars to a 120 dollar bill. Using the window A/C which only handles the bedroom runs more than that.

Wow! What brand is it, and where did you find it? That sounds really promising.

We have baseboard heat and a small house. The winter bill runs about $300 for the worst months and once we got air conditioning the summer bills are not more than $150. We keep it at 65 or 70 during the day for heat, 60 at night unless it's windy, then we keep it up. AC runs at 74. We chose not to put heat with the AC unit as it would be forced air...from the ceiling. I'm in central-western Maryland.

My mini split is Mitsubishi. I use the a/c more often than heat but I like having the heat in spring and fall. We don't use the porch in winter months so I can't speak to those costs.

You all remember the insanely imaginative artist house, subject of this thread. Well two sales have fallen through. Hummmm imagine that. The owner/listing agent held it open for neighborhood people to take a gander since we are all very curious.

Here’s my proof that we were in the house on Saturday. This is a picture of DH standing in the dining room.
    when you’re in it you see what a hazard it is. There’s lots of chatter about making it a tourisT destination Airbnb unit, but I can’t imagine the liability of having strangers stumble around in that house. In every room is an opportunity to drop down to another story. Yikes.

But it is an awesome experience, absolutely fascinating, and wonderful.

67620C2C-3BB7-4773-BA9F-0CD1B6B1D021.jpg

How nice that it was opened up for you guys to see it.

It will take an unusual person to deal with all that excess and still stay sane. It is one of the dwellings that is good to visit but not to stay.
    IL, if 3/4 of the contents were removed, would it become a normal dwelling or is it too cut up for that kind of a future?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information