Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And now for something different

And now for something different

These houses are For sale in my neighborhood.

The first one was owned by Jim King who died recently. He was a nice and eccentric and quiet guy. I used to talk to him about iris. But never got a glimpse of his house it was locked up tight and he had shutters affixed to the front so no one could ever see in. Now I see why. He lived here longer than I have. He left my neighborhood association a nice chunk of change.

His house is yowza! Wowza! Eccentric artist here.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1204-Half-S-18th_Saint-Louis_MO_63104_M97561-71655

Then, a nice little stone church, finally renovated from top to bottom. We have been watching this little place deteriorate for decades, so when the current owner, a real estate developer, bought it we all breathed relief because they have a reputation of doing difficult renovation projects very well.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M85868-10098

I would post a few interior photographs of these places except that my Internet is so slow tonight that I can’t get JPEG’s to load.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was a show about a church in England that was done very much like the church above. Smaller scale but same design. I cannot even compose a comment about the first house. Kept him busy.

Guess he never heard that less is more).

Wow, the first house was really cool, but so much going on visually that it gives me a headache. The price is crazy to me. In my middle-class town, $325K would get you a teardown on a decent lot.
    The church is a nice restoration, but there is something about the interior that lacks charm and warmth.

I really liked the artist's house (although I would decorate very differently!--but an amazing house, with incredible spaces, and cheap) and really hated the church reno. Ugh to the church. Yay to the artist's house.

Thank you, IL, for posting these listings, so different and so interesting in the contrasts.

I loved the church reno; the serene colours, the space, the layout, the openness. I have seen other church renos that struggled in design to convert to family living space. Such a pretty building!
    The artist's house makes me wish that I could have walked through with him letting him share the story of each piece. Very turbulent colours. The garden area was interesting for such a small space.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Love these!!!

The artist's home: Boy, that gives me such hope for sticking to color and quirky!! Why, oh, why can't Hilary Farr and Joanna Gaines be as inspirational?? It makes me realize that no matter what, you have to be true to yourself in your home decor. Screw the trends. Not saying I could live in the level of "stuff" that he has, but I know who he is when I see his house, and that's awesome.

The church: razz, yes, it is a serene adaptation for the church, but I have mixed feelings on it.. I do think they did a great job of modernizing it while paying homage to its roots. SO glad they kept the stained glass--all of it, it seems--and I would pray that whoever buys it keeps it. The dove above that mantel is gorgeous. And I like the way they framed parts of the stained glass. I guess my problem with it is the color?? That all-too-popular grey? I'm trying to decide if it's too much of a disconnect with the architecture or not. But all around, really beautiful homes--both of them.

Thanks for posting them. That neighborhood looks beautiful, IL.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I know who he is when I see his house, and that's awesome.
    Interesting thought. Do we see our homes expressing who we are? Or, are the contents simply a collection of stuff reflecting our interests over the years?

That is the impression that I got of the artist's home - just a pile of stuff, almost a hoarding life. I am not denying his creativity and interests but why so much squeezed in the space and impossible to maintain. I wondered who went through cleaning, removing cobwebs and dust before putting the place on the market.

Using this home, not to disparage anyone but as an example to trigger discussion, do our homes express who we are?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have never seen anything quite like the first. St Louis has the most interesting architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have never seen anything quite like the first. St Louis has the most interesting architecture.
    That’s why I’m here!

Thread Information