Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects between now and Summer Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since we bought our townhouse last fall we've had an ongoing list of projects. Stuff that we've outsourced (upgrading the deck, replacing some rotted wood before the HOA painted the exterior of the building) and also making the place how we want it to be. One of the things we did was purchase a portable a/c unit. After research I learned that if you get a two hose unit they are about as efficient as a window unit, so that's what we bought. There have only been a few days so far this spring where I needed to use it in my office room (which faces the SW and gets really warm in the afternoon).

It came with a big thing to put in the window and point the hoses out the window, but that whole thing seemed pretty janky. So yesterday I went to home depot and bought a board that could replace that whole clunky thing, and some weatherstripping to put around the edges, and this evening I cut the relevant holes and tested it all out. The result is so much better. It will be much more efficient and we won't have hot air leaking through it. The two hoses (outside air in/hot air out) will attach to the two big openings. Weatherstripping will go on both sides.

I realize this isn't as fun as the beautiful cabinets and whatnot that everyone has been discussing on the housing forum but what can I say? I'm a guy who doesn't have a lot of talent or concern regarding decorative stuff, but is much more concerned about the practicality of making the a/c work well and efficiently.

(While I understand that it's a lovely feature, and not a bug, of the forum software to post pictures at stupid random directions, my intention was to post it rotated 90 degrees clockwise so please tilt your head 90 degrees counterclockwise when looking at it.)

Attachment 3775
    That is very handsome, and such a good pick on the wood that I thought it was part of the window frame. Well done!

Yes, I agree with Tybee, jp! Very resourceful of you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

DS said the furnace cleaning will not be this week. He is still researching cameras.

So, in terms of my projects this spring, I got one done! While I was away in NJ at my GS birthday party, my DS painted the bedroom. I LOVE it!! It's exactly like I wanted! Attaching a picture. (The bed has a huge bump on it because I have a memory foam on my side--DH likes his mattress rock-hard)

Other projects are: paint living spaces inside; GARDEN!! Edge the gardens, amend soil (got my soil report back from UVM and we're WAYYY too high in phosphorous. I'm wondering if all the farm chemicals used on the island have actually made their way down to the lakeshore.), start planting!! There's SO much to do outside.

That's enough for one season--I've been working so much I'm really behind.

IMG_2313.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Pretty and simple Catherine.

Looks really lovely, Catherine. Very effective window arrangement with AC, jp1.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It looks great Catherine!

Looks great, Catherine! As an aside, what is wrong with us that our pictures are not sideways? We must be doing something wrong!

That color is so serene, and I really like how the checked yellow curtains contrast!!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Looks great, Catherine! As an aside, what is wrong with us that our pictures are not sideways? We must be doing something wrong!
    Actually, you're doing it right. Photos show up sideways or upside down on our forums because the software isn't new enough to have incorporated orientation tags which are included in the output of newer digital cameras. Newer software such as that used by Facebook or Instagram, etc., read the orientation tag and adjust photos accordingly so that all of Iris Lilies photos are right side up when displayed whereas our older, simple minded software requires photos to be taken right side up if we want them to be viewed without rotating our monitors.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information