Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many homes?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I recently discovered that trying to remember all the places I have lived is a good way to fall asleep. Like counting sheep but requires more effort. Too many to list but guessing around 20-25.

whoah! That’s a lot unless you were a military brat.

I keep a list of addresses of places I’ve lived. I don’t have the address of the place I lived when I was a wee infant I have almost everything else on the list.

It’s like I keep a list of dogs we’ve had since 1993. And cats. No reason to keep this really.

It's interesting reading about all the places everyone has lived and the moves they've made in their lives as circumstances change. I have no memory of the first apartment my family lived in when I was born. The house I grew up in, of course, I remember well and fondly. Although I've looked at it on zillow recently and it's slightly updated but not significantly and looks incredibly small and lower average by today's standards. As a kid growing up I assumed that the stability of it was the norm and i've carried the desire to recreate that feeling with me to adulthood. When I had been dating SO for the better part of a year we started to discuss moving in together and I agonized over it because I'd been in my tiny Times Square apartment for over a decade and felt 'settled' in it. Him moving in would've been a disaster. It was too small for both of us and his commute to exit 8A in NJ would've been a daily nightmare. For several years I had that same settled feeling in our second San Francisco apartment. It was nice. It was a known quantity. Moving seemed like a gamble. What if we hated being outside the city. Or the neighbors or HOA were jerks. Or whatever. So far it's all still good. At this point I hope we stay there at least until retirement ten-ish years from now. If we decide not to stay there once we retire I hope that we just have one more move left in our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I keep a list of addresses of places I’ve lived. I don’t have the address of the place I lived when I was a wee infant I have almost everything else on the list.

It’s like I keep a list of dogs we’ve had since 1993. And cats. No reason to keep this really.
    It's interesting the lists people keep. After my mother died I learned that she had maintained a list in an ancient steno pad of every christmas and birthday gift anyone in our family got/gave for the entire 50 years that she and my dad were married. While it was interesting to see what I gave my sister for christmas when I was seven I can't imagine doing that myself.

I kept the info on all the homes/farms that we owned until I moved into my present home. It was all part of decluttering. I tried to examine all such stuff and wondered what the kids would do with it when I was no longer around. It all came down to reduce the clutter for their sake. I did look it over, shredding it after cherishing our, DH and my, interesting past but recognizing that I live now. Savour the past and let it go.

A list of pets is different as they are like family members.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

20 places and none was my parents fault. I grew up in one house. I have owned 10 homes and the other 10 were apartments.

I wish I'd kept some sort of record as I had to do some memory mining. One home while growing up, six in university years which were typical student shared house or apartment. Job hunting and adventure years, four including several months in a mobile home, a converted double garage, and an apartment above a real-estate office. Career years, four. I've lived in five cities or towns in different parts of Colorado, plus a short time in southern Idaho. I've only owned one home where I've lived now for the last fifteen years or so. So 15 homes or at least housing as it goes, and in six different places.

military brat
    Yep. For a time, my dad was an Air Force doc so I started kindergarten in San Antonio and spent the next 20 years there. And then on to Austin for the next 30. I'm gonna have to make a list just for the heck of it.

I’ve lived in at least 40 places/homes- there may be a couple more from my very early years that I’m not recalling right now. Most of the crazy moving was during my growing up years- my parents loved to move, always renting, they bought their first house just before I graduated from high school. I went to 2 different schools in first grade and 4 in second grade. Unfortunately for me, I married a man who also liked to move a lot, and we lived in 5 places in 5 years. After we divorced, I settled in and moved far less.

27. No wonder I dislike moving so much.

Apartment in New Britain CT from birth through age 5
    Parents first (and only) house from 5-17
    College housing
    Sublet from a friend who went on co-op after graduation for 6 months
    My first apartment on my own- which my spouse moved into later , two years
    A second apartment as a just married, 2 years
    A condo for 10 years
    Current house for 24 years.

Thread Information