Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy .. buy furniture for your dog!

I'm not at all shocked. Over $ .5 billion is spent on Halloween costumes for pets in annually. Of course these nut jobs will buy pet furniture.

When we lived in a subdivision full of kids I dressed my 4 dogs and my sonís 2 big dogs in Halloween costumes because the kids loved it. I bought one set of costumes on sale and they wore the same ones every year. The kids were thrilled and I put up a gate so that the dogs couldnít escape.

Whenever I see this kind of stuff, I think of how dogs (and cats) were viewed a few generations ago. Mostly kept outside or in the barn on cold days, fed table scraps and often short-lived due to outside dangers. To keep the barn cat population steady, my grandfather would sometimes put spring born kittens in a burlap bag and toss them in the irrigation ditch.

Yes, where I grew up, although many people developed deep bonds with their working animals, they were not usually viewed as part of the family. We had coon hounds, outside - they were working dogs. The cats were barn cats, and had a job to do. Overly well-fed barn cats are not usually good mousers. That said, they generally got table scraps and sometimes a pan of milk, along with whatever they caught. It was a different time, and a different view of animals. My grandfather "retired" his work horses to pasture, but a lot of farmers, once they had a tractor and the demand for horses crashed, just sent them to slaughter. Pasture was needed for income producing animals. Personally, I prefer the pampered pets ethos, overall, but I can't condemn what was done back in the day, unless it was done cruelly.

Buy “furniture” for my dog(s)?! Ha! They won’t even sleep on the dog bed/mat in the corner in the living room. I have cocker spaniels and long ago gave up buying furniture for them, they either sit and sleep with me, or o the floor by me.

Buying pet furniture seems no more ridiculous than paying $300 for a fake washer dryer set for your toddler.

5500ED72-988B-4707-A639-236735E3D845.jpg

Thread Information