Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surveying your life through Amazon Ring technology

Security and privacy are always a trade off. You have to be comfortable with your choices or the people you are using.
    I recently bought several sets of camera's based on different factors. Any, that have cloud access, you are essentially giving LEO permission to view them in the terms of service. These are destined for the business, to help me get information before heading out (need a gun, someone just doing vandalism, etc). These were bought based on a LEO relatives recommendation. They purchased and placed them as needed, when someone was released from prison and came looking for them and the family for payback. Their old department saw the suspect via the Ring doorbell at their old house.
    The other systems, are NOT cloud based. I can set them or my Raspberry pi camera's so I can access them remotely, but that requires a lot more setup then what the average home camera buyer wants to do. It also means that LEO's do not have access, need warrants, as I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. They can be aimed to only cover private property and no public.

I refuse to have Alexa, Whatever Google is called, Windows 10's voice version, smart tv's (future tv's will have to be commercial displays, as most of them are not smart, or run some form of Linux on them, such as Tizen). We still argue over Facebook, etc, as grandma doesn't understand why she can't post photo's on it, or of former LEO's that used to do UC work, etc.

It's been my assumption that there are certain rights to privacy that a person forfeits as soon as they use a computer, and that as soon as a person uses facebook, or does a google search, or buys from Amazon that someone is collecting and using that information. I don't use common social media sights or own a ring, limit online bill payment, and use basic protections on my computers. However I do own three Alexa devices that I have justified by making my life simpler. The only one with a camera has the lens blocked. I suppose information is being collected when I use Alexa, but I don't understand why it offers any more risk to my life than any of the other digital platforms?

NPR had a recent report on how Amazon Echo and Ring can allow your network to be shared with neighbors using their new Sidewalk feature, starting June 8. The article talks about how it could affect privacy and what you can do to disable the feature. It was pretty simple to disable.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/10025...ss-you-opt-out

Interesting information. I don't have any of these Amazon or other devices, but I agree with the article that it is a huge red-flag that this is an automatic opt-in.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information