Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NY Times Magazine: "What We Spent in a Month"

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I need to get to work with my husband and a budget.
    Try our starting method? We did a "starvation" month with money. If it wasn't' an absolute necessity, we didn't spend. Bills got paid first and extra applied to debt. Essentials for getting to work. Food-we ate what we had on hand. If we wanted something and couldn't make it for lack of ingredients, we ate something else. We went to the store when we were out of options.

30 days is a great trial. We had a clear picture of NEED vs WANT. From there, we were able to begin our mindful spending journey, ala "Your Money or Your Life" where each item considered for purchase was categorized prior to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I actually feel this way about corvettes. I don't understand the desire to own one... big, only seats two, low to the ground, expensive to buy/own/repair, etc. And I prefer the look of a gremlin over a corvette - but that's just me. LOL.
    I think most Corvettes are not attractive but those 1960s versions are great.

I’m not very much into American cars, I prefer European lines.

But I always say that if we won the lottery get out of the way car collectors because both DH and I would run out and buy in our collectible area of interest. He likes German cars and American muscle cars. I like funny little cars like Metropolitan Nash but also European sports cars.

Cars just don't interest me at all. I'm driving a 7-year-old Ford Focus with a couple of dents and the faint aroma of cat pee inside (after multiple attempts to deodorize, it's good enough). With any luck I will be driving it for at least 7 more years.
    DH is absolutely in love with his new Bronco Sport and watches videos and reads articles online constantly since buying it. I told him he was a much more interesting conversationalist before he got this new vehicle, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think most Corvettes are not attractive but those 1960s versions are great.

I’m not very much into American cars, I prefer European lines.
    60s Corvettes were cool, but I hate 70s, 80s, 90s Corvettes. I would never date a guy who drove a Corvette. To me they're a p_n_s on wheels. Too much testosterone for me.

That said, when my DH got out of the Marines he took all of the money he sent his mother and bought a Porsche convertible. That's when I met him. The car was a piece of crap, but he made a statement in it. Whatever statement he made, I read the whole book.

IMG_2378.jpgIMG_2377.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    60s Corvettes were cool, but I hate 70s, 80s, 90s Corvettes. I would never date a guy who drove a Corvette. To me they're a p_n_s on wheels. Too much testosterone for me.

That said, when my DH got out of the Marines he took all of the money he sent his mother and bought a Porsche convertible. That's when I met him. The car was a piece of crap, but he made a statement in it. Whatever statement he made, I read the whole book.

IMG_2378.jpgIMG_2377.jpg
    a sporty fellow! There is a Porsche collector around the corner from me who has one of those models tho probably not quite that old but it’s pretty old. To me that always looked like a poor imitation of the ultimate sports car which is a Triumph TR6. Not a fan of Porsche here

Gosh, he IS cute-- a bit like Redford there.

I would never date a guy who drove a Corvette. To me they're a p_n_s on wheels. Too much testosterone for me.
    I've noticed over the years that a fairly high percentage of Corvette owners sport bad comb overs, pinkie rings and gold chains. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I’m gonna tell you all a recent car story. I think I might’ve already told this story but it’s something that is kinda funny for car people.

We sold one of our tiny houses last year. We immediately drove over to a branch of our Hermann bank to deposit the check. DH had that checkbook with him for the purpose of depositing.

On the way home we drove by one of the dealers of vintage luxe cars. In their window was —-the ultimate car of my dreams, a 1964 cream colored Mercedes Benz convertible. I tugged on DH’s sleeve and said hey let’s just stop in and look at that car, let’s put our hands on it, let’s suck in The awesomeness of that car.

We went into the show room and put our hands on the car. I didn’t sit in it because I felt that was too forward. But I sucked in the loveliness of it, I ran my finger over it, I touched its restored leather seats. We did open and close one door do that I could hear the heavy thunk of a real metal close. I looked at the price and was shocked that I could afford it, in fact it was $10,000 less than that check. If that’s not a sign from Above then I don’t know what is! Haha.

I have long said that DH and I may never go car shopping together, at the same time, because we end up with a car. My frontal lobe knew how extremely dangerous this little sojourn into Luxe auto Land was.

But apparently a higher power was looking out for me because there was not one salesman in the room. We must’ve stayed there 15 minutes and at no point did any human come out and talk to me about the car. We never saw a human being in there.

And that, Dear Reader, is how I ended up with no Mercedes Benz vintage car of my dreams. No one in Auto Luxe Land could be bothered to push us ever so gently into ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Many people would date you because of that car.

our neighbors in Herman, the people across the street, are quite a bit younger than we are but they have a fleet of cars because they have multiple young people in their house. But in addition to that the dad is a car guy. So he just most recently got an old truck and they’re very very popular right now. But he also has a blue muscle car that I think it’s a Camaro? Or some thing of that ilk. Of course it’s not as old as our Camaros would be, but to him it’s very very cool.

IMG_2378.jpgIMG_2377.jpg
    That outfit with the yellow beret certainly makes a statement!

Love these stories which are really cute and funny as well.
    That said, a car for me usually means something with 5 wheels that goes - four with tires and one to steer. My Prius V also was very fuel efficient with a large trunk area.

I may have mentioned this story once before. Sometime after DH's passing, I finally sold his !/2 ton. Coming from the garage after having it safetied for selling as required by law, I put a Johnny Cash cd in the player and cranked up the volume with the windows wide open as I drove it home through the countryside. It was wonderfully freeing to do just once and I understood why others do it. Surely everyone would love to hear Johnny Cash!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information