Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Miss Covid?

I am the afore mentioned introvert, so I did enjoy having a ready excuse for certain social events. Unfortunately, it went along with missing the pleasure of some others.

I have wondered if it might make certain people always on the go a little more introspective and value time spent at home or alone. Maybe appreciate healthy home cooking over routine restaurant dining. How to plan groceries for every week or longer instead of running to the store every other day. The reduction in various travels and work from home has maybe been a good practice to reduce carbon foot prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    For all the ice cream lovers out there I don't think Yppej is talking about the disease, but rather about its effect on everyday life. I'm happy to see restaurants allowing diners inside and school children being allowed back into classrooms and sports and entertainment venues return to business so no, I don't miss Covid's effect on society and our everyday lives.

As a matter of fact, I was somewhat annoyed during our annual Christmas at the beach outing when our normally quiet and serene 10 days on the coast turned into something resembling spring break. It seems that lots of people who were unable to travel as they might traditionally do rented RV's and went to the beach with us. The staff at last years campsite told us that it was their busiest Christmas ever.

The question itself is infuriating in its disrespect. To answer it directly as Gardnr has done is to recognize that the disease has killed and continues to kill millions of people, required and continues to require enormous outlay of expenses for families and for which future generations will suffer the consequence, many lives were and are impacted NOW horribly especially the healthcare workers.

You have chosen to interpret it another way. I am sorry that in comparison to the above, your holiday was somewhat disrupted. The challenges of having to wear a mask, wash your hands and social distancing was and is an enormous burden, I understand completely. I am still doing it.

However, if the question was respectfully phrased such as: "how is the lifting of pandemic restrictions in your community impacting your life?", I would not have commented at all.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wonder if there is another class of people who will miss covid because it gave them the opportunity to feel superior to their fellow citizens, to scold them, and to do what seems to fit their personality - get their panties in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I wonder if there is another class of people who will miss covid because it gave them the opportunity to feel superior to their fellow citizens, to scold them, and to do what seems to fit their personality - get their panties in a bunch.
    Yes.

I wonder if there is another class of people who will miss covid because it gave them the opportunity to feel superior to their fellow citizens, to scold them, and to do what seems to fit their personality - get their panties in a bunch
    Yes indeed! What are you going to do with all your free time now that you won't be calling the governor's office and scolding him for not wearing a mask or calling department stores and scolding them for not having their fitting rooms open for your convenience and all the time you spent poking holes in your mask to stick it to the man? You might be able to find a solution for world peace with all that free time.

I'll have a child sized pistachio please.

Personally I do not miss covid.
    Well, where I live, in one of the best-performing counties in the country, COVID isn't over yet, so, um....

I'll just keep having ice cream as usual. Well, I would, but...

I do have a COVID rant however. I purchased at the beginning of the pandemic a HUGE amount of my favorite kind of ice cream and stuffed one of my freezers with it. It comes in 1/2 gallon cylinders. I finally ran out last week, and I purchased 2 new containers when I was at the Market (wearing a mask, as properly required by our Public Health Officer).

I got home and went to put them away, only to find they had been sneakily downsized during the pandemic to 1.5 quart containers. They maintained the same cylinder size, they just shrunk the length of the cylinder a bit. Kept the price the same though.

That's worse than not being able to use a changing room, let me tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The question itself is infuriating in its disrespect. To answer it directly as Gardnr has done is to recognize that the disease has killed and continues to kill millions of people, required and continues to require enormous outlay of expenses for families and for which future generations will suffer the consequence, many lives were and are impacted NOW horribly especially the healthcare workers.

You have chosen to interpret it another way. I am sorry that in comparison to the above, your holiday was somewhat disrupted. The challenges of having to wear a mask, wash your hands and social distancing was and is an enormous burden, I understand completely. I am still doing it.

However, if the question was respectfully phrased such as: "how is the lifting of pandemic restrictions in your community impacting your life?", I would not have commented at all.
    In this instance, I don’t see the original post as a case for the Sensitivity Police. I think the poster was asking if some people will miss the strange circumstances of the plague year in the sense that some people used to feel a certain nostalgia toward the Second World War.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

They maintained the same cylinder size, they just shrunk the length of the cylinder a bit. Kept the price the same
    I am going to use this situation as an argument for my kid that geometry does in fact have applications in the “real world”.

I keep wondering if you have learned ANYTHING, started actually using some common sense, increased your capacity for compassion, or lost any of your selfishness. I see the answer to all is "no".

Edited to add: I think I'll go for raspberry sherbet next time around! Although for some reason, a lot of places make it "blue" raspberry... I'm just not thrilled with blue food.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I purchased at the beginning of the pandemic a HUGE amount of my favorite kind of ice cream and stuffed one of my freezers with it. It comes in 1/2 gallon cylinders. I finally ran out last week, and I purchased 2 new containers when I was at the Market (wearing a mask, as properly required by our Public Health Officer).

I got home and went to put them away, only to find they had been sneakily downsized during the pandemic to 1.5 quart containers. They maintained the same cylinder size, they just shrunk the length of the cylinder a bit. Kept the price the same though.

That's worse than not being able to use a changing room, let me tell you!
    I've noticed this with a lot of products lately - downsizing in product, but not price.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information