Thread: Garage sale

Garage sale

With the exception of 2020, I've had a garage sale every year on the Memorial Day weekend for over 25 years. This year since six other neighbors had done the Covid clean and had bags and boxes of stuff they decided to join in.

We weren't sure what to expect but something magical happened. Although the roads were jammed with people leaving town there were still so many who dropped by. I have regulars that come every year and they all stopped by. I would say that about 40% wore masks but everybody was very respectful of each others choices and kept a comfortable distance. Although people have generally always been in a good mood there was something really special about the interactions the past three days. Everybody was happy and if not wearing a mask seemed to be grinning ear to ear. They lingered and seemed hungry for connection and conversations. You could hear laughter up and down the street. In the past I have had people haggle, this year they didn't and several even told me to keep the change. We opened earlier and closed later. We had folks doing food runs because it was impossible to take a break. People were helping strangers carry items to their cars. A couple even offered to deliver since they had a truck! I had so many people want to look at my garden more closely and I gave several tours. We had one offer on the house and six on our Minnie Winnie, neither are for sale.

We crashed and slept like the dead last night. We were so tired, so happy, so blessed.

That sounds wonderful! Glad it went so well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Wow. Fabulous.

That is great. I can’t believe that you do a garage sale every year!

I just donate stuff. For you is probably as much of a social thing as anything. For me I just want to get rid of the stuff. In fact at the end of today our neighborhood’s online auction ended and somebody came to get a table and two cloisonne pots I donated to that auction. So yaya, they are out of my house!

That’s great! I have had many garage sales. They can be fun but lots of work.

That sounds like a big success!

Lovely to read this.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We had a G-sale several weeks back and I noticed the same thing. People DID seem eager to connect & converse. We made more than we have before on garage sales, of course I think we had more out as we are seriously downsizing.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information