Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Number One Health Discovery

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I used to walk 4-6 miles a day. Now it’s only 2. I eat 1600 calories a day 6 days a week. One day a week I eat what I want. It doesn’t allow my body to think I am starving and lower my metabolism because of not doing the same thing every day. 5 years ago I lost 17lbs and kept it off. Now my weight is within the normal range.
    I like it! Sounds do-able...thanks for sharing...I just got on the rowing machine after a long time away from it. I managed to row 200 calories before my body said, "What the heck do you think you're doing, pudgy!" But I'm going to keep it up...I like rowing--and walking...
    peaceful, easy feeling

I decided I needed to have a reasonable plan that I could maintain. It took 4 months to lose the weight. I mostly drink water and a few cups of coffee. I don’t want to waste my calories on any kind of drink when I could eat them).

Losing weight is so hard. Hubby works many days during the week for Habitat and another local group on his feet and working hard. He takes cardio classes 4 days a week when he is not doing cardio at Habitat. Then on days without those and some days with them, he tries to row for 20 minutes after each meal.

He watches what he eats and drinks. Even his apples are small.

I think he is mostly muscle at this point, but all the charts say he is obese for his height. When we went to the college gym, he was using more weight than the students in our Body Pump class. SIGH. So hard to try and meet unrealistic goals. But I am happy he is aware of his health.

That is one thing I will credit the new job with as a benefit - I've lost about 25 pounds since last October.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Wow! Happystuff. Do you feel generally better with all the exercise despite wanting a new job?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

I think he is mostly muscle at this point, but all the charts say he is obese for his height. When we went to the college gym, he was using more weight than the students in our Body Pump class. SIGH. So hard to try and meet unrealistic goals. But I am happy he is aware of his health.
    Many of my Surgery Center owners were sports medicine for our college athletics as well as high schools. It is rare for a trained athlete to hit the tiny healthy BMIs on the charts. I'll tell you, holding retractors on their muscles was quite a feat for us women. We once had to take down a deltoid muscle to do a rotator cuff repair as the cuff was so deep the surgeon literally could not get to it.

Charts are suggestions IMO. He sounds fit with great healthy habits. I'd be concerned not one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Wow! Happystuff. Do you feel generally better with all the exercise despite wanting a new job?
    Sort of yes, feel better and sort of no. LOL. Yes - it feels great to have the weight off and I definitely feel good about that.

No - I'm just tired all of the time. Physically, the aches and pains when I first started have since eased, so I guess my muscles have gotten used to it. Have some feet issues that I'm dealing with, so once those are taken care of, I will feel much better. Just need to get used to the hours. I will admit to having a really tough time adjusting despite how long it has been.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information