Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: It IS real.....

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I didnít realize your state was one of the few that didnít pay into SS. It would definitely be a mistake at your age. Nevada is the same way but I donít think I came out worse because I had a fair number of years out of the job market. Lots of politics, who you know, etc in state service also.
    Maine is the same way with SS and teaching; it's a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yes. I distinctly remember our Head honcho saying to the administrative staff something like “I know you all can make so much more money elsewhere so I appreciate you all being here” but only our IT guys could, and perhaps the finance people. He said this to be kind and complementary as he always was, but I don’t think it’s especially kind to encourage delusion.

I remember the public employee debacle up north there. That’s pretty interesting that so many people thought they would see support from taxpayers at their refusal to fund their own pension.

I am super Duper happy having a pension from my city for however long it lasts. It is the critical mass amount of monthly income that allows us to be not at all worried about our finances. If it went away tomorrow we would still be fine because we have multi prong ways to access money, but boy does the pension act as a relief valve.
    What I found in local government was that the IT staff who maintained their skills and certs and built up a decent resume often did leave for substantially more money. The ones who just sort of coasted with outdated skills clung on for dear life until they could retire. It was pretty easy to identify who fell into which category.

I agree that a pension can be a valuable thing, especially if you donít particularly enjoy managing money or have trouble summoning up the discipline needed to save on your own. But I think people sometimes overestimate itís importance.

The boss offered any customer who can get us a new employee a steak dinner. One man has already referred two people, one of whom was interviewed the other day. I am cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The boss offered any customer who can get us a new employee a steak dinner. One man has already referred two people, one of whom was interviewed the other day. I am cautiously optimistic.
    Personally I'd make it a steak dinner for both the referrer and the new employee. No one's going to refer someone they wouldn't be willing to break bread with at an event like that. And it'd be a great opportunity to build relationships all the way around.

Today I heard Keene, NH advertising on the radio for police officers and other jobs in the police department. I have never heard a public sector entity go on the air to try to recruit employees before. No mention was made of having to attend the police academy, just being a citizen who wants to serve the community. The spot also talked about career paths including becoming a detective.

Thread Information