Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    With the right job (literary translator, editor, or similar) and the ability to work from home and not spend half again as much time commuting as I did at work, I would have been OK . Now, there are a lot more tolerable options than there were when I was coming up. People who have found a well-paid calling are a very lucky minority.
    And then there is the idea of “well-paid”.

People in my public library profession yammered about how we were all low paid. I was never bothered by the “low pay” even in my my first professional job out in one of the poorest states in our United States where public service jobs don’t pay much. I was perfectly fine.And that is largely because I had zero debt.

Zero debt is hard to do now, but not-much debt is do-able.

There a young guy over on the Mr. Money Mustache forum whose goal upon graduation is to have a bunch of money in the bank. Cant remember if his goal is $10,000or $100,000, but he is impressive.

It's funny, but my son with the worst paying job is the son who has saved the most money in the bank.

I never would have thought it, but he shared with me the details, and yeah, he is way ahead of the others, at a fraction of what they earn.

Family members who have worked in different settings over the years are amazed at the lack of understanding by those who have enjoyed a good long-term well-paying job with great benefits and a defined pension complain when the % of pay increase is not above the CPI when so many others are struggling to find employment with similar skills sets. It seems when one comes out of college straight into a good job, one takes it for granted to which one is entitled.
    As Cicero said, ďGratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Family members who have worked in different settings over the years are amazed at the lack of understanding by those who have enjoyed a good long-term well-paying job with great benefits and a defined pension complain when the % of pay increase is not above the CPI when so many others are struggling to find employment with similar skills sets. It seems when one comes out of college straight into a good job, one takes it for granted to which one is entitled.
    Yes, there is a big difference between having the job you enjoy, earning a "decent" salary with ANY benefits and/or pensions versus struggling. And, based on my experiences lately, the processes of searching, finding and getting a job have changed quite a bit in even the last 5 years - let alone the changes since COVID just a year ago! Not liking and just "quitting" is NOT a viable option for a lot of people and finding another is NOT so easy for everyone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I can remember being amazed several years ago during a debate over changing our state pension plan to require employees to pay half the annual contribution (generally 6-7%). There were people going on television predicting that this would outrage the unpensioned public, who would rally to their cause. You can guess what happened. I heard from other public employees who insisted that they could easily go elsewhere and make twice as much, but I never saw it happen.

Itís strange how many people feel ill-used despite the evidence all around them.

I think the whole telling people to get jobs they love (so much it doesn't feel like a job?) is just screwing them over big-time. It's a mind F done to the youth, but generally as with most things I think we are slowly learning, maybe future generations won't be raised this way, I mean really are millenials going to raise their kids that way etc.? I mean if one manages to find such a job great of course, it's not like one shouldn't do it. Just as an *expectation* it's really a mess, it doesn't prepare anyone for a world in which many jobs are kind of a drag but must be done anyway, and where fulfillment should primarily be found outside of work. The focus of life should not be jobs, because it's not where most people get fulfillment, it's really unhealthy to focus on jobs so much (not that one doesn't need them of course). It's not a helpful and really IMO it's a harmful way to prepare young people for the rest of their lives. Yes fine prepare them with the expectation to work (unless they have a trust fund) but not to need to find it anything but a practical necessity.

family members who have worked in different settings over the years are amazed at the lack of understanding by those who have enjoyed a good long-term well-paying job with great benefits and a defined pension complain when the % of pay increase is not above the CPI when so many others are struggling to find employment with similar skills sets. It seems when one comes out of college straight into a good job, one takes it for granted to which one is entitled.
    yea I don't think that has actually happened much for decades (it all seems very ok boomer and I half expect to hear it wasn't even true then), but it still happens rarely, i contracted at such a place (no of course there is no way they were ever giving me a full time job and they REALLY liked my work, but you just don't get into a *pensioned* (!!!!!) job that easy).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The focus of life should not be jobs, because it's not where most people get fulfillment, it's really really unhealthy to focus on jobs so much (not that one doesn't need them of course). It's not a helpful and really IMO a pretty harmful way to prepare young people for the rest of their lives.
    My newest work motto (especially when they spring mandatory OT and say "think of the money!") is: I work to live; I don't live to work.

The best things in my life so far have pretty much all been outside of "work".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I went to graduate school a second time to train for a career I knew I would love. I was at the height of the pay scale after 15 years and made 62k with a masterís degree. 4K of that went to my pension. I was fine with that because I loved my work. It was much more important to like working versus making the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I went to graduate school a second time to train for a career I knew I would love. I was at the height of the pay scale after 15 years and made 62k with a master’s degree. 4K of that went to my pension. I was fine with that because I loved my work. It was much more important to like working versus making the big bucks.
    This did give me a little chuckle and a reminder that "perception" is so important. I would LOVE to make 62k right now and would definitely consider it "making the big bucks". LOL. The closest I ever came to that kind of a salary was way back when as a programmer.

I do agree about it being important to like the work, but - again - not everyone has that option.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    This did give me a little chuckle and a reminder that "perception" is so important. I would LOVE to make 62k right now and would definitely consider it "making the big bucks". LOL. The closest I ever came to that kind of a salary was way back when as a programmer.

I do agree about it being important to like the work, but - again - not everyone has that option.
    I have never made $62K although I live in a high cost of living state. I have a master's degree.

Thread Information