Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

I took my car in for service today, when I checked out, the service manager mentioned that they have 2 openings for service technicians, as one has taken Family Leave, and another is retiring soon. This is a large, very successful dealership. They did not shut down during the pandemic.

I was a little surprised, and asked about experience/qualifications: ability and willingness to follow directions and procedures, computer savvy and willing to learn more, genuine desire to join a team for long term advancement. 40-44 hours per week, $40/hour during training. (And, I assume, a raise after initial training is complete). She said they decided to recruit via their current customers because we can share our perceptions of the work atmosphere, which I see as a place where employees enjoy their work. (Yes, the Service Manager is a woman, sheís been in that position for 24 years.)

I sent the information to my grandson. He meets the qualifications. It would be as easy 20 mile reverse commute for him, and the salary is quite inviting for a 22 yr old. I have to admit, I think Iíll be disappointed if he doesnít follow up. He was laid off from 2 jobs during the pandemic, and is now delivering organic vegetablesÖ.

$40/hour for an early 20-something would be great. Hope your grandson pursues it.

It's over 80k a year to be trained, so I'm not sure why any "for an early 20 something" caveats are needed. Is the expectation everyone older than that is pulling down 6 figures? But what matters most at that age is what direction one wants to go in longer term of course.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

That’s a great salary.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It's over 80k a year to be trained, so I'm not sure why any "for an early 20 something" caveats are needed. Is the expectation everyone older than that is pulling down 6 figures? But what matters most at that age is what direction one wants to go in longer term of course.
    Most early 20 somethings I know are not making $40/hoiur.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I took my car in for service today, when I checked out, the service manager mentioned that they have 2 openings for service technicians, as one has taken Family Leave, and another is retiring soon. This is a large, very successful dealership. They did not shut down during the pandemic.

I was a little surprised, and asked about experience/qualifications: ability and willingness to follow directions and procedures, computer savvy and willing to learn more, genuine desire to join a team for long term advancement. 40-44 hours per week, $40/hour during training. (And, I assume, a raise after initial training is complete). She said they decided to recruit via their current customers because we can share our perceptions of the work atmosphere, which I see as a place where employees enjoy their work. (Yes, the Service Manager is a woman, she’s been in that position for 24 years.)

I sent the information to my grandson. He meets the qualifications. It would be as easy 20 mile reverse commute for him, and the salary is quite inviting for a 22 yr old. I have to admit, I think I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t follow up. He was laid off from 2 jobs during the pandemic, and is now delivering organic vegetables….
    It's good pay for where I am, but in California maybe not so much, especially if it's around Silicon Valley.

I always thought that, at a car dealership, the "service technician" was basically a mechanic - and doesn't that require more official-type schooling? Or is it a new label for what used to be a "car salesman"?

I would LOVE to earn $40/hour as a trainee and the job qualifications being ability and willingness to follow directions and procedures, computer savvy and willing to learn more, genuine desire to join a team for long term advancement!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Companies used to routinely train their employees--imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I would LOVE to earn $40/hour as a trainee and the job qualifications being ability and willingness to follow directions and procedures, computer savvy and willing to learn more, genuine desire to join a team for long term advancement!
    If I lived there and could do only part-time, I'd go for it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thatís a great salary for a trainee. And assuming they like it and do well the future would seem very bright. But Iím not surprised. With all the computers in cars today (the current new car shortage is caused by the chip shortage. Every new car has dozens of them) an auto technician needs to be both a mechanic and a specialized IT person. So they should get paid that well. Sounds like a good career for a young person today. Pays well amd canít really be outsourced to someone in a cheaper labor market on the other side of the world.

Thread Information